Posted: Friday 5th July 2024

Fantastic Fords win on the road.

Castleford Tigers take the spoils away at St Helens.

saints 3.jpg

Tex Hoy got us underway at The Totally Wicked Stadium in St Helens, a safe gathering from the Saints got us underway.


Cas thought they had an early chance after a six again shout on the last, however an error from the returning George Lawler gave Saints the ball back early on.


It was the Tigers who looked the stronger outfit after ten minutes after having the majority of the ball, a last tackle shift out the back to Tex Hoy nearly put Cas in the lead but his pass to Qareqare was loose and went into touch.


Saints had back-to-back sets near the Tigers line five minutes later, but a poor kick and a forward pass allowed Cas to stay level after fifteen minutes played.


Possession started to lean towards the home side after multiple repeat sets after quality kicks. Saints couldn’t take advantage as a last tackle kick fell into the hands of Alex Mellor in the left centre.


After such a strong defensive display from Cas, St Helens crossed over after through Sam Royle. The Saints second row managed to squeeze past Jacob Miller with 2 minutes to play in the first half to put St Helens four points ahead at the half.


Both sides were in the game at half time, a four-point gap was the difference between both sides in what was a ferocious first forty minutes of rugby league.


St Helens broke through the line early on in the second half, forward Agnatious Paasi was the man to go up against the fullback but the pass to Lewis Dodd was spilled before the line.


Referee Tom Grant gave St Helens a penalty for a ball steal after ten minutes in the second half, Mark Percival was the man to step up and slot the penalty to take the hosts to six points ahead.


Cas got themselves off the mark when Innes Senior dotted down in the corner, a wraparound play from Robb allowed Miller to find Senior on the edge to put Cas within two of the hosts.


Rowan Milnes sent the ball high towards Tee Ritson on the last who dropped the spiral bomb. Cas looked to take advantage of the field position but a forward pass from a repeat set gifted Saints the ball back.


Tee Ritson made a half break down the left with fourteen to play but a cover tackle from Qareqare forced a poor pass inside to Dodd who dropped the ball ten metres out.


Two consecutive penalties allowed Cas to then march up the field, Craig Lingard was quick to get the message on and Cas took the two points to level the scores with just over ten minutes left.


A Jacob Miller high kick came on the last tackle from the next set, Jack Welsby was underneath the kick but unable to take it. An accidental offside then allowed Rowan Milnes to take the two points to put Cas two points ahead.


Saints were piling on the pressure in the final moments but an error from Paasi allowed Cas to scrum down.


An end-to-end game but it was Cas who took the spoils at the Totally Wicked Stadium, a spirited Cas performance who really dug in until the end.










St Helens: Jack Welsby, Waqa Blake, Ben Davies, Mark Percival, Tee Ritson, Jonny Lomax, Lewis Dodd, George Delaney, Moses Mbye, Matty Lees, Curtis Sironen, Sam Royle, James Bell.


Interchanges: Agnatius Paasi, Jake Burns, Jonny Vaughan, Noah Stephens.


Tries: Royle


Penalty Goal: Percival



Castleford Tigers: Tex Hoy, Jason Qareqare, Corey Hall, Alex Mellor, Innes Senior, Rowan Milnes, Jacob Miller, George Griffin, Liam Horne, Muizz Mustapha, George Lawler, Elie El Zakhem, Joe Westerman.


Interchanges: Liam Watts, Cain Robb, George Hill, Matty English.


Tries: Senior


Penalty Goal: Milnes x2