Posted: Friday 14th June 2024

Tigers come close at The Jungle.

A close encounter between Castleford and Wigan saw The Champions come away with the two points after a scrappy affair.


Wigan were the ones to get us underway at The Jungle with a Harry Smith high kick, it weren’t long into the first half when Cas made the first break, Innes Senior was clear down the line until he was caught by Eckersley.


Cas thought they had a chance early on after a Warriors error however a poor scrum play on the first saw The Tigers lose possession.


The Fords had a positive start and were miles on top in the early stages, but poor execution kept the scores level.


This came back to haunt Cas moments later when Liam Marshall walked in for his first of the day.


Liam Marshall thought he’d got over for his second, but quality Cas defence forced the winger to knock on over the line.


Cas hit back with 7 minutes to play through Tex Hoy, a burst of pace through the line saw the fullback go 1 on 1 with Bevan French, however the Tigers man skipped round him with ease.


With 3 minutes to play Kruise Leeming left the field with for a HIA, several complaints from the Wigan side however nothing was given by referee Ben Thaler.


It was all square at the break with Cas being the happier of the two sides going into the changing rooms.


Cas thought they’d struck first in the second half when Elie El-Zakhem came close to grounding a Corey Hall kick in behind however Video Referee Chris Kendall gave no try.


Elie El- Zakhem came close once again on the last, this time Ben Thaler awarded Cas the penalty for offside. Craig Lingard instructed Rowan Milnes to take the two points and he converted to put The Tigers ahead.


Cain Robb left the field for 10 minutes after being sin binned for a high shot.


Rowan Milnes was pinpoint with his kicking once again as a penalty for a high shot saw Cas take the two and go four points ahead.


Wigan struck back straight away when Bevan French broke the line. Jake Wardle then skipped over finding Liam Marshall who dotted down in the corner.


Wigan went ahead with 15 minutes to play after a late hit on Harry Smith allowed Wigan to take the extras from the middle of the field.


The Warriors were the inside on the front foot with 10 minutes to play piling on the pressure however strong Cas defence kept them out until the end.


A much-improved performance for our Tigers who unfortunately just came up short to the recent Challenge Cup winners Wigan Warriors in a tasty affair at The Mend A Hose Jungle.


















Castleford Tigers: Tex Hoy, Jason Qareqare, Corey Hall, Sam Wood, Innes Senior, Rowan Milnes, Jacob Miller, George Griffin, Liam Horne, Liam Watts, Alex Mellor, Elie El-Zakhem, George Hill.


Interchanges: Nixon Putt, Sylvester Namo, Cain Robb, Matty English


Tries: Hoy




Penalty Goal: Milnes X2


Sin Bin: Robb



Wigan Warriors: Bevan French, Abbas Miski, Zach Eckersley, Jake Wardle, Liam Marshall, Ryan Hampshire, Harry Smith, Mike Cooper, Brad O’Neill, Luke Thompson, Sam Walters, Liam Farrell, Kaide Ellis.


Interchanges: Liam Byrne, Patrick Mago, Kruise Leeming, Harvie Hill.


Tries: Marshall x2




Penalty Goal: Smith




Golden Gamble: 24/1567