Posted: Friday 25th August 2023

Defeat for the Fords against Saints

It was defeat for the first time under Danny Ward for Cas at Wheldon Road

saints report 2.jpg

It was defeat for the first time under Danny Ward for Cas at Wheldon Road.


The first ten minutes belonged to the Tigers. They came close when Jacob Miller hoisted a kick high and Dodd couldn’t take it. That was followed by another set, after Westerman tried the boot and the ball was spilled. Cas looked to go left through Tate but couldn’t crash over.

Saints broke the deadlock however just after 10 minutes. The ball was shifted wide to Makinson leaving a two on one with Percival in support. The Saints winger found Percival on his inside who went in for the first of the match.

Saints had another 8 minutes later. Batchelor looked to go in down the right but offloaded wide to Makinson, who dived in and the try was awarded.

They had a third with 16 minutes to play in the first half. Saints shifted left through Dodd and Lomax, and the found Bennison running a line at a gap and executed the pass that saw him run in towards the sticks.

Just two minutes later, Saints had another. A break Welsby allowed another two-on-one situation, allowing Batchelor an easy take to score under the sticks. Saints in front by 24.

Makinson had another on 36 minutes. A long ball wide from Welsby allowed Makinson to catch the ball and walk in unopposed.

The Fords went in at the break with a mountain to climb.


Just 5 minutes after the interval, Saints had another. Lomax was on hand to pick up a loose ball after Makinson attempted a pass inside that went to ground and fell over the line to ground.

The visitors thought they had another on 55 minutes. The ball went to ground from Westerman, and Dodd kicked it on for Saints and managed to ground his own kick, but the referee brought play back for a Cas scrum.

The Fords got their first points of the contest with 20 minutes of the second half played. Cas broke through Hall who was caught high. A penalty given and a a six again allowed the Fords to build some pressure. Quick hands saw the ball go left and a brilliant tip on from Foster to Turner saw the Cas number 3 dive in at the corner.

Sam Royle saw a yellow card come his way for a professional foul when Hall went close meaning Saints finished the last 10 minutes with just 12 minutes. Cas looked to capitalise on the man advantage when Westerman passed wide to Wallis to score in the corner. However the referee saw it go forward and play brought back.


Full Time: Castleford Tigers 4-34 St Helens



Castleford Tigers:

Tries: Turner

Goals: Widdop 0/1


St Helens:

Tries: Percival, Makinson 2, Bennison, Batchelor, Lomax

Goals: Percival 5/6


Castleford Tigers: Widdop, Wallis, Tasipale, Turner, Tate, Westerman, Miller, Watts, Horne, Griffin, Edwards, Mellor Lawler

Interchanges: Hall, Johnstone, Foster, Tsikrikas

18th man: Martin


St Helens: Welsby, Makinson, Davies, Percival, Bennison, Lomax, Dodd, Knowles, Roby, Delaney, Mata'utia, Batchelor, Bell

Interchanges: McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Norman, Royle, Mbye

18th player: Baxter



Golden Gamble: 01370

Attendance: 6668