Posted: Saturday 15th July 2023

Tigers defeated at Hull FC

It was a tough afternoon for Cas at the MKM Stadium, losing out 36-18

hull report 1.jpg

It was a tough afternoon for Cas at the MKM Stadium, losing out 36-18.

The Fords had their first meaningful attack of the game just 4 minutes in. A high bomb from Dean was caught by Litten and brought away but the FC fullback lost the ball on contact in the tackle on his own 20m line. After being awarded another penalty, the Fords looked to the left edge to Wallis. Wallis looked to dive in but was bet by a barrage of black and whites and put into touch.

Just two minutes later, Swift struck for the hosts. A kick in behind on the last from Trueman bounced cruelly in front of Faraimo and was batted backwards to the Hull winger who collected and grounded in the corner.

The Fords hit back on 12 minutes! Back to back sets for the Fords inside 10m after a crafty kick from Widdop was knocked on allowed them some great field position. They made the most of it and found Wallis again on the left edge but this time he grounded in the corner. Widdop slotted his first kick of the game with a cracker from the touchline giving Cas the lead.

The hosts regained the lead halfway the first 40. After a high shot in favour of FC, they were knocking on the door inside 10. Tuimavave found a gap and sneaked through to score.

Cas drew level from the boot after a penalty for offside. The Fords opted to take the two points on offer and Widdop slotted it through the posts with ease to tie up the contest at 8 apiece.

The Tigers defended brilliantly in the sets that followed. Three times they were pinned on their own line and three times they moved up, met their runners and kept the hosts out despite being under the pump.

In the final minute of the half, Cas looked to regain the advantage. After a penalty was kicked to 30m out, Jacob Miller looked to chase his own kick and did so, but forced a drop out.


Miller again the man to try and add a point to the tally on the hooter. However, the Cas number 7’s kick was charged down and regathered by Hull and the teams went into the interval level.


Hull FC opened the scoring for the second half just 3 minutes in. Satae barged his way over and seemed to have knocked on in the act of grounding. However after consulting the in-goal judge, the try was awarded.

Just a minute later, Hull scored again. Satae broke the line but didn’t have the legs to go all the way so handed it off to Swift, who beat Widdop for pace and scored to the left of the posts.

The Tigers responded on 51 minutes! Westerman broke through a tackle and had just the full back to beat. He had Broadbent on his inside and popped the pass up to the Fords centre to race in under the sticks.

The Fords happiness was short lived. From the kick off, Broadbent spills it and allows Hull back in. Dwyer pulled the ball from the back of the tackle on the fourth, found full back Litten running at pace and he finished off the move in the corner.

Similar to the opening try of the contest, it was backed up with another in quick succession. A 6-again awarded just 5 metres out from the Cas line and an offload to Cam Scott who dotted down under the sticks.

It got worse for Cas with 14 minutes left on the clock. Scott bounced off a Liam Watts tackle and saw space in front of him. He took the space and scored his second of the afternoon under the uprights.

The Tigers did get another with 10 minutes to play. A rare penalty and a six again for the Fords gifted them some field position. They swung left to right and found Faraimo on the edge. The former FC man barged his way over in the corner to ground.


FULL TIME: Hull FC 36-18 Castleford Tigers



Hull FC:

Tries: Swift 2, Tuimavave, Satae, Litten, Scott 2

Goals: Clifford 0/2, L.Sutcliffe 4/5


Castleford Tigers:

Tries: Wallis, Broadbent, Faraimo

Goals: Widdop 2/3

Penalty Goals: Widdop 1/1



Hull FC: Litten, Swift, L.Sutcliffe, Tuimavave, Barron, Trueman, Clifford, Fash, Houghton, Sao, Scott, Savelio, Cator

Interchanges: Satae, Lane, Taylor, Dwyer

18th man: Lovodua


Castleford Tigers: Widdop, Faraimo, Fonua, Broadbent, Wallis, Dean, Miller, Watts, Johnstone, Vete, Mellor, Edwards, Westerman

Interchanges: Griffin, A.Sutcliffe, Mustapha, Hall

18th man: Robb