Posted: Thursday 13th July 2023

Scholars sink FC

Castleford Tigers’ Scholars had a night to remember at the University of Hull where they came from behind to record a stunning victory over Hull FC on Wednesday night!

scholars header 1.jpg

Castleford Tigers’ Scholars had a night to remember at the University of Hull where they came from behind to record a stunning victory over Hull FC on Wednesday night!

The hosts took an early lead on seven minutes with half-back Callum Kemp shaping left to centre Leon Haywood who cut in to open the scoring.

FC went close to going back-to-back just a couple of minutes later through Henry Watkinson who burst down the right-hand side but an incredible last-ditch challenge from Tylor Sharpe stopped him a metre short.

It was a back-and-forth contest until the Black and Whites got their second of the night 25 minutes in. A break down the left freed Toby Matson who passed inside for Kemp to race clear to score under the sticks.

On the half-hour mark, the Airlie Birds extended their lead further after Cas were penalised for an infringement at the ruck. A cutout ball from Kemp wide left to Matson allowed the winger to acrobatically finish in the corner.

Despite being on the back foot the Tigers displayed their resolve just a few minutes later. FC allowed the ball to bounce out of play from the kick-off and the Fords took full advantage as some lovely hands allowed Sean Coughlan to cut in and open Cas’ account.

Just before half-time, however, the hosts restored their advantage. On this occasion, it was Henry Watkinson who received a pass from Lennon Nicholson to cross by the corner post on the right.

Cas began the second 40 on fire as six minutes into the half Sonny Wall spotted a gap in the Hull line to burst through and twist over to ground.

The Tigers’ second-half dominance continued as they struck again in quick succession. A lazy FC offload was spilt by Alistair Swyer in his own half and the Fords took full advantage as a brilliant Rhys Firth offload provided Bradley Bullock the opportunity to stride clear.

The momentum was well and truly with the Tigers as they kept the home side under the pump. Some off-the-cuff play on the last kept the ball alive with three offloads eventually finding the hands of Corey-Jay Sharpe who ducked under a couple of challenges to level the game.

Astonishingly just a couple of minutes later the turnaround was complete. Taylor Robinson made a dart for the line, stretched out, but the ball was stripped in the act of scoring and the referee awarded a penalty try.

With their backs against the wall Hull did reply after being awarded back-to-back penalties and Kemp found Zak Nelson-Hewitt with a short ball for him to crash over for the scores to read 28-26 to Cas.

A crucial moment for the Tigers came with around ten minutes to go as FC shaped left inside their own half, Wall threw out a hand and picked off an intercept for the half-back to race over from 40 metres out.

The tie wasn’t over with Kemp scooting over from close range but the clincher for Cas came three minutes from time. The Tigers’ offloads were causing havoc as Sharpe spotted the run of Robinson who slid over to crown an unforgettable night!


FULL-TIME: Hull FC Scholarship 30-40 Castleford Tigers Scholarship


Hull FC: L Kemp, Matson, Hayward, Nicholson, Watkinson, Thompson, C Kemp, Smith, Davies, Turner, Tempest, Barley, Watts

Interchanges: George, Horne, McIntyre, Nelson-Hewitt, O’Brien, Swyer, Wilson

Tries: Hayward, L Kemp (2), Matson, Watkinson, Nelson-Hewitt

Goals: Davies (1/2), Thompson (2/4)


Castleford: T. Sharpe, Chapman, Coughlan, Lindsey, Ncube, Wall, Beedle, Firth, Robinson, Dale, Salmon, O’Marr, Seal

Interchanges: Bullock, Dawson, Egley, Foggin, Jackson-Bedford, Neston, C. Sharpe

Tries: Coughlan, Wall (2), Bullock, C Sharpe, Robinson (2)

Goals: Wall (6/7)