Posted: Friday 9th June 2023

Tigers lose out to Salford

Castleford Tigers suffered a Round Fifteen defeat to Salford Red Devils at The Jungle on Friday night.

match report header 2.jpg

Marc Sneyd got the game underway at The Mend-A-Hose Jungle with a penalty coming straight from the off allowing the Tigers to march up the field early on. A quick defensive line put pressure on Jacob Miller however the ball being batted down gave Cas the head and feed. The pressure continued when a late hit on Joe Westerman gave the Tigers another penalty.

One offload too many as an opportunity falls into Salford hands. A penalty followed allowing Sneyd to kick the ball up the field. Salford came close with their first set in the Tigers' half, but Will Tate safely took a high kick to the corner.

A line break from Jordan Turner gave Cas their first opportunity of the game. A grubber through the line nearly fell into the hands of Tate but unfortunately fell dead. Another error from Salford gave the Tigers possession but the Red Devils escaped.

Confusion under the high ball from Sneyd allowed Rhys Williams to retrieve the ball, going over for the first of the day. Sneyd converted and put the Red Devils up by six.

The Tigers soon bounced back when an interception of a loose ball from Jason Qareqare sees him race over into the corner. Widdop unfortunately put the conversion wide.

Another Sneyd kick spiralled up in the air and a Widdop error handed the ball to Salford who crashed over for their second of the day through Chris Atkin, making the score 12 – 4.

Moments later some off-the-cuff rugby saw Deon Cross go through the line and step away from Miller to put himself over.

The Red Devils didn’t stop there when a move to the right edge through Croft and Brierley found Ken Sio who dived over in the corner adding to Salford’s lead.

Another chance went begging for the Tigers when a 70m break from Tate put Cas in a dangerous area. However, Castleford shifted the ball left and an offload from Turner bounced into touch.

Fonua soon left the field for a HIA after a collision with Salford’s Tim Lafai and

Six again given against Salford gave Cas vital field position but a short pass to Joe Westerman was dropped in contact gifting the Red Devils the ball once again.

Qareqare collected a testing Sneyd kick back into the corner, which was brought down well, but possession was squandered when he dropped the ball at the play of the ball. Salford tried to barge over for another, but a short pass was dropped short of the line.

The half time hooter sounds and a creative chip from Cain Robb found the hands of Kenny Edwards who crashed over next to the posts, followed by a conversion by Widdop. Bringing the half time score to 10 – 24.

Widdop got the contest back underway and an error from Jack Ormondroyd gave Cas the ball back early on. The Tigers came close, but referee Jack Smith penalised the Tigers for crossing.

Salford added another to their tally when centre Lafai skipped around the Tigers defenders and found winger Rhys Williams with a flick pass to finish in the corner.

Cas came close again when Tate retrieved the ball from a short kick-off, the Tigers played left and Tate dived for the corner but was given in touch.

The Tigers suffered another blow when Sio picked the pockets of the Castleford attack and rushed over from 40 metres to put the Red Devils 24 points in Infront.

Another in quick succession as Salford shifted to the left edge once again finding Williams who gave an inside ball to Lafai to crash over.

The Tigers didn’t help themselves when a kick from Croft was dropped by Qareqare giving head and feed back to Salford. The opposition tried to go over but a looping ball from Sneyd was tipped by Tate.

Joe Westerman made way for youngster Aaron Willis who makes his Super League debut for the Tigers late in the second half.

The teams went set for set five minutes before an error from Miller gave Salford the ball 40 metres out from the Cas line.

The Salford attack was just too strong on this occasion as an overload on the left saw Sam Stone dive over on the left-hand side.

The final possession of the match came from Cas but a stray pass from Jack Broadbent hit the floor and the final hooter sounded.


Full-time: Castleford Tigers 10-42 Salford Red Devils


Castleford: Widdop, Qareqare, Fonua, Turner, Tate, Broadbent, Miller, Martin, McShane, Griffin, Edwards, Sutcliffe, Westerman

Interchanges: Massey, Mustapha, Robb, Willis,

Tries: Qareqare, Edwards

Goals: Widdop (1/2)


Salford: Brierley, Sio, Cross, Lafai, Williams, Croft, Sneyd, Dupree, Atkin, Vuniyayawa, Watkins, Stone, Partington

Interchanges: Ormondroyd, Sidlow, Bourouh, Hellewell

Tries: Williams x2, Atkin, Cross, Sio x2, Lafai, Stone

Goals: Sneyd (5/8)


Attendance: 6354

Golden Gamble Number: 00550