Posted: Friday 26th May 2023

Fords lose out against the Giants

A tough night for the Tigers in Huddersfield losing 20-4 at The John Smiths Stadium

hudds 5.jpg

A tough night for the Tigers in Huddersfield losing 20-4 at The John Smiths Stadium.


The deadlock was broken just two minutes into the contest. A high kick from Fages was spilled forwards by Widdop and into the hands of a Giants attacker. They saw an overlap left and passed it out to Marsters who grounded easily. 

Huddersfield looked to add more to the tally almost instantly. AFter a 40/20 attempt from Connor was gathered by Widdop, a ball steal earned them the ball back. The hosts shifted left to right and found Bibby, who was met by Wallis for the Fords to stop him in his tracks and put him into touch. 

Referee Aaron Moore awarded Huddersfield a penalty in front of the posts on 10 minutes and they opted for two points. Connor successful for the second time in the evening with the boot. After a very flat 10 minutes from both sides, Huddersfield were then awarded another penalty 10m out. Connor again with the boot giving the hosts a 10-point lead. 

The Tigers found some ground and managed to put some pressure on on half an hour. A high bomb from Broadbent on the last was knocked on by Bibby inside their own 10m and the scrum was awarded in the Tigers’ favour. From the scrum, Cas got their first points! A neat move left to right and Mellor was allowed to go in at the corner. 


In an error ridden half, from both sets of players, both scored one Try but the Fords went in at the break 6 points behind. 


Castleford started brightly in the second half. Wallis went the full length of the field and scored a try, but the referee brought play back to halfway for a penalty to the Fords. Widdop stabbed a kick through on the last and forced the hosts to drop out before Matagi went close but was held up and the Tigers attack was quashed. 

Huddersfield then went further in front. After a penalty for a push at the play the ball from Edwards, followed by the Tigers’ second rower being penalised for dissent, the Giants were in position to attack again. The ball went through hands and found an unmarked Innes Senior who dotted down in the corner. 

It got worse for the Fords with 25 to play. A simple flat pass and a good line from Naiqama, who collected at pace, and the Giants centre raced in to score under the posts. 

Castleford looked to get back into the game down the left edge again. Elliot Wallis broke down the line leaving him with only the full back to beat. He had Jacob Miller on his inside and looked to find him, but Cas’ number 7 couldn’t gather the ball and it went to ground. 

For the third time in the game, Wallis broke down the left at pace but this time was caught by the slightest of touches brought him down. After an inside ball towards Miller went to ground, Cas had it back due to a Giants hand being involved. The Fords looked to go left again, but Miller's pass went straight into touch with 3 minutes left to play.


FULL TIME: Huddersfield Giants 20-4 Castleford Tigers


Huddersfield Giants: Lolohea, Bibby, Naiqama, Marsters, Senior, Connor, Fages, Hill, Peats, English, Cudjoe, McQueen, Yates 

Interchanges: O’Brien, Greenwood, Rushton, Ikahihifo 

18th Man: Halsall 


Castleford Tigers: Widdop, Faraimo, Mellor, Turner, Wallis, Broadbent, Miller, Matagi, McShane, Massey, Edwards, Lawler, Westerman 

Interchanges: Mustapha, Martin, Hall, Watts 

18th man: Robb 



Huddersfield Giants: 

Tries: Marsters, Senior,  

Goals: Connor 2/3 

Penalty Goals: Connor 2/2 


Castleford Tigers: 

Tries: Mellor 

Goals: Widdop 0/1