Posted: Sunday 19th February 2023

Fords Fall just short in First Round at Hull FC

The Tigers came up just short on Humberside missing out 32-30 after a late, late fightback.

hull fc header.jpg

The Tigers came up just short on Humberside missing out 32-30 after a late, late fightback. 


The Fords looked to counter attack early after holding up Brad Dwyer through Jake Mamo. Mamo broke down the line but was met by the retreating defence and was tackled. The ball swung lrft to right but Fonua knocked on 20m out. 

It was the hosts that broke the deadlock on 8 minutes. After a penalty against Kenny Edwards for a high shot, Hull FC were on the offensive. A looped ball over the top of Mamo found McIntosh unmarked to put their first points on the board in the corner. 

Just a minute later, Hull FC scored again. A show and go from Dwyer sold the Castleford defence and created a gap. With support on both sides, Dwyer’s simple ball to Liam Sutcliffe set the centre through to ground. 

FC scored a third on 15 minutes. After a pass from the Fords halves went astray, the hosts picked regained possession. Satae hit a flat ball and offloaded right, and another pass out wide found ground, but backwards. McIntosh controlled it with his feet, gathered the ball and grounded in the corner. 

The Fords hit back on 20 minutes. A penalty for offside against Hull FC got Cas in range. The ball was put through hands left to right despite a 6 again klaxon and a clever pass around Fonua from Evalds found Faraimo to score his first of the season in the corner.  Castleford threatened again. Another penalty in their favour, this time for a high shot got them down to FC’s 20m line. A kick on the 4th from Mcshane towards Edwards looked a certain try, but the Tigers’ second rower failed to collect the ball after a cruel bounce. 


After 3 Back to back penalties against Cas, FC were in again. A quick exit from the scrum left Cas retreating and Adam Swift unmarked on the wing to score. A case of De Ja Vu followed. A penalty against the Tigers for offside in which the Black & Whites opted for the scum. Faraimo ran early leaving Swift unmarked again and he added another to the scoreboard. 

A tough first half for the Tigers who had limited opportunities to score, and a lot of penalties and errors to answer for. They went in at the break 26-6 down. 


6 minutes after the break, A kick from McIntosh ricocheted off Jake Mamo and into the hands of Houghton. Houghton was met by Griffin but the FC hooker was too strong and grounded. 


The Fords added 6 more points to their tally 20 minutes into the 2nd half. After a quiet 14 minutes, Kenny Edwards hits a brilliant line from Widdop and went in to the left of the upright. 

Two minutes later, Cas were in again! The speed of Jake Mamo beat FC winger McIntosh round the outside. With just Hoy to beat Mamo sent Miller away with a inside ball for a Try on his debut. 


Widdop tested McIntosh with a long kick. He controlled with his feet and attempted to pass to Hoy. Hoy couldn’t claim it and fumbled 20 metres off his own line putting Cas in position to pounce. The ball was put through hands again and found Faraimo once again on the wing. An inside step from Faraimo fooled the defender and the Tigers were back in it with 12 minutes to play. 


5 minutes remaining. Up stepped Jake Mamo. A dazzling run on the last tackle fooled the FC defence and his footwork see’s him barge over to put the Tigers within two points of FC and the game back on. 


It was too little, too late for the Fords despite a fantastic second half performance, the Tigers fell to defeat at the MKM Stadium, 32-30. 




Hull FC 

Tries: Mcintosh 2, Sutcliffe, Swift 2, Houghton 

Goals: Clifford 4/6 


Castleford Tigers:  

Tries: Faraimo 2, Edwards, Miller, Mamo 

Goals: Widdop 5/5 




Hull FC: Hoy, Swift, L.Sutcliffe, Scott, McIntosh, Clifford, McNamara, Satae, Dwyer, Taylor, Lane, Griffin, Fash 

Interchanges: Houghton, Lovodua, Cator, Evans 

18th Man: Brown 


Castleford Tigers: Evalds, Faraimo, Fonua, Turner, Mamo, Widdop, Miller, Watts, Mcshane, Massey, Edwards, Mellor, Westerman 

Interchanges: Lawler, Griffin, Broadbent, Matagi 

18th man: Milner