Posted: Friday 22nd July 2022

Tigers claim emphatic away win

Our match report as the Tigers take home a comanding away win from the MKM Stadium!

Castleford Tigers put on a spellbinding second half to claim a 46-18 away victory over Hull FC at the MKM Stadium on Friday night.

Lee Radford made two changes to the starting line up from last weekend’s victory over Warrington with Alex Sutcliffe making the 13 and Gareth O’Brien returning from injury. Greg Eden swapped the halves for full-back as he proudly made his 100th Castleford appearance. Both Jake Mamo and Adam Milner made returns to the Fords’ bench.

Danny Richardson got the clash underway, and it was the visitors who put the first points on the board. An early knock-on from the returning Jake Connor and an offside call in the Hull FC half gave Cas a penalty. Richardson elected to go for the posts and slotted the kick to nudge the Fords 2-0 ahead in the first four minutes.

The Tigers kept their momentum going in the early stages and added to their lead inside 10 minutes. A perfect line hit by Kenny Edwards opened the space and the second row produced a typically outrageous offload to Eden who put a delicate chip through to Derrell Olpherts who dotted down. Richardson had a difficult task with the conversion from out wide but the #7 stepped up to the mark and brilliantly found the target.

Tempers flared when Connor Wynne and Olpherts got into a scuffle down by the touchline which was enough for Chris Kendall to send both to the sin bin for 10 minutes.

The black and whites were awarded a penalty not far from the visitors’ line for the altercation and FC made the most of it as they took the play quickly to the left-hand side. Mitieli Vulikijapani was the man to bulldoze over and smuggle the ball down under pressure and Luke Gale converted to get the hosts within two.

It turned out to be the moment which put the hosts on the front foot and after a 40/20 from the right boot of Gale, the Airlie Birds went into the lead. A precise kick behind the line on the right-hand side was acrobatically put down by Darnell McIntosh in the corner and after much deliberation by the video referee, it was given. Gale lined up the kick and was successful as the ball kissed the inside of the left upright.

Castleford tried to respond and were boosted by forcing Hull FC into a knock on inside the hosts’ 30. Although after strong carries from Alex Sutcliffe and Eden, Mamo’s kick wide towards Faraimo had far too much power on it.

Moments later the Tigers were caught napping after they were penalised and a quick tap and go from Danny Houghton opened up the field for the experienced hooker to run in under the posts. Gale added the extras from in front of the sticks for the scoreboard to read 18-8 with a quarter of an hour to go before the interval.

A spill forward at the play of the ball from Wynne in the Black and Whites’ 20 and the Tigers capitalised. The ball was whipped into the hands of Olpherts who smashed through three Hull defenders on the line and twisted well to place the ball down. Richardson made no mistake despite being right on the touchline to push his side within four.

Castleford had one more throw of the dice before the break after Jack Walker found a Richardson bomb too hot to handle. Unfortunately for Cas, their attack fizzled out and the half-time hooter blew with the Tigers four points behind.

A scruffy opening to the second half with both sides making handling errors and the latest error was costly for the Fords with Mamo showing dissent after knocking on and was shown a yellow card.

Despite being put under the cosh and down a man, the Fords turned the game on its head with a quickfire double. Connor looked left with Castleford defending their own line, but his pass wide was pounced on by Faraimo who raced the length of the field to the elation of the away support. Richardson’s right boot was on fire and the scrum-half was successful with the kick for his side to take the lead again.

The second in quick succession came just a couple of minutes later and it was Olpherts who made a brilliant line break which made all the difference. The Cas winger was stopped just under 10 metres short but the ball was recycled quickly and a perfectly timed pass from Eden to Faraimo saw the #5 stroll home.

The Tigers were well and truly dominating the second half and got themselves extra breathing space. Daniel Smith delivered a perfectly placed short ball into the welcoming arms of Suaia Matagi for the prop to charge over from 10 metres out. Richardson added the two.

Olpherts then notched his hat-trick with a big hit from Fonua dislodging the ball which popped up to Eden who burst forwards. The Fords’ #23 waited patiently before firing out the pass wide left for Olpherts to claim his third.

It was a night to remember for Olpherts, who with 15 to go, slid over in the corner for his fourth after the visitors had numbers over. Richardson made no mistake from out wide once again.

As the match entered the final few minutes with the Fords faithful singing loud and proud, Castleford got their eighth of the game. Sutcliffe was in the right place and the right time to intercept a pass in his own 20 and showed some outstanding pace to hold off Vulikijapani and go over by the corner post. Richardson couldn’t make the conversion, but it was an unforgettable night for the Tigers, taking a 46-18 away win.


Full-time: Hull FC 18–46 Castleford Tigers


Hull FC: Walker, McIntosh, Wynne, Vulikijapani, Simm, Connor, Gale, Sao, Houghton, Evans, Lane, Lovodua, Fash

Interchanges: Brown, Johnstone, Taylor, Longstaff

Tries: Vulikijapani, McIntosh, Houghton

Goals: Gale (3/3)

Sin bin: Wynne x2

Red card: Sao



Castleford: Eden, Faraimo, Sutcliffe, Fonua, Olpherts, O’Brien, Richardson, Griffin, McShane, Lawler, Edwards, Mellor, Westerman

Interchanges: Mamo, Milner, Smith, Matagi

Tries: Olpherts x4, Faraimo x2, Matagi, Sutcliffe

Goals: Richardson (7/9)

Sin bin: Olpherts, Mamo, Lawler