Memorable moments vs Wakefield

Posted: Tuesday 17th August 2021 - 3:18 PM

Tickets for the fixture are available by clicking here and to get you in the mood for Saturday night’s match up, we look at a few of the most unforgettable moments that this South Yorkshire clash has thrown up over the years.


2017 was a standout year for the Fords, amassing an impressive 52 points and 155 tries in a season where they went onto lift the League Leaders' Shield to end their 91-year wait for a top-flight title.

Daryl Powell’s side clinched top spot in Super League against their most bitter rivals and Cas blew Trinity away with the backing of a party like atmosphere inside a raucous Wheldon Road.

The visitors were the team who set the pace early on and Liam Finn put the first points of the day on the board with a penalty.

Hardaker went over for the Tigers' first try after a neat pass from Luke Gale before Jones-Bishop managed to level the scores for Trinity.

Parity was short-lived however, as McMeeken showed some superb handling to touch down before Webster extended the lead after a terrific break by Hardaker.

Wakefield secured the final points of the first half when Caton-Brown charged over to get his side back in the game.

Danny Kirmond's try for Chris Chester's side put the hosts on the back foot at the start of the second half as Wakefield moved within two points, but Cas responded quickly through Greg Eden's 38th try of the season and Webster's second of the game after Max Jowitt kicked out on the full.

Webster went over twice more either side of Gale slotting a drop-goal to put the match firmly out of Trinity's reach with just over 10 minutes to play.

Jowitt went over for the visitors but, Castleford had the final say as Hardaker touched down after a quick breakaway.

At the full-time whistle the Jungle party could really begin as Michael Shenton lifted the trophy and Castleford fans celebrated long into the night!


Remarkably after 27 rounds of Super League action, the final fixture of the 2006 campaign saw the local rivals battle it out with the loser relegated to the second tier.

A packed-out Belle Vue hosted the match which was billed as the ‘Relegation Grand Final’ and the Tigers had the better of the opening stages thanks to scores from Willie Manu and Adam Fletcher to give them a 11-2 lead.

Wakefield powered back into the game through a try from James Evans and then turned the game on its head by taking the lead with Jason Demetriou claiming a crucial try.

Eight minutes after half-time, Cas captain Danny Nutley touched down to drag the visitors back into the lead.

This only spurred Wakefield on as Monty Betham hit back with a try before Kevin Henderson and a second from James Evans sealed their survival and Castleford’s relegation.

The Tigers did managed to bounce back the following year by thrashing Widnes in the play-off final by 42 points to 10 to regain their top flight status.


Cas were pitted against Wakefield for the final match of Magic Weekend in 2015 and the Tigers put on a show to secure their best-ever Super League success over their local rivals.

The Tigers took the lead after just three minutes when Denny Solomona raced over after being found by Michael Shenton.

The wing then grabbed another try four minutes later after a Richard Owen error handed Castleford some easy ball.

Castleford got a third as Shenton dummied his way into the clear before making a try for Jordan Tansey but Wakefield then responded through speedy winger Tom Johnstone, who raced 80 metres with an interception.

Wakefield closed to within four points after 18 minutes when Jon Molloy grabbed a loose ball and sent Dan Smith under the posts with the game being played at a breakneck pace.

Shenton then responded as he got past Johnstone to score in the corner, but the Wakefield man redeemed himself by grabbing his second try of the game, after taking a pass from Dean Collis.

The scores stood at 22-16 at half-time but the second 40 minutes were dominated by the Cas pack. Solomona clinched his hat-trick 10 minutes into the second period, scoring easily after ex-Tiger Richard Owen had slipped over when trying to deal with a Luke Gale chip.

Ashley Gibson took the game out of Wakefield’s hands entirely with a with a quickfire brace, scoring by the corner flag after a blind side attack and then acrobatically diving over after good work from Jake Webster.

Solomona strolled over for his fourth try when Wakefield failed to deal with another Gale kick and the scrum-half himself got in on the try-scoring after some unselfish play from Solomona and Oliver Holmes.

As the fixture entered the final few minutes, there was just enough time left for Gibson to complete his hat-trick, as he scored in the corner for the Tigers’ tenth try of the day for the game to end 56-16!

It was the victory that began Castleford’s incredible streak over Trinity, and the Tigers will be aiming to make it 16 consecutive wins on Saturday.

Share this article: