Tigers defeated by Red Devils

Posted: Sunday 11th July 2021 - 5:48 PM

Head coach Daryl Powell picked a youthful looking line-up with five academy products who had yet to make a Castleford senior appearance named in the matchday squad. Caelum Jordan, Jack Sadler, and Cain Robb all started the match to make their Super League debuts. Fellow under 19 academy players Adam Rusling and Nathan Magee were named on the bench.

The Tigers were boosted with the return of Grant Millington, Jesse Sene-Lefao and Cheyse Blair who all had previously been absent through injury.

Robb started his Castleford debut extremely brightly, making darting runs forward at every opportunity. With 4 minutes on the clock the hooker poked a kick forward which stopped just short of the line, and the youngster was beaten to the ball and Salford were able to clear their lines.

Just a couple of minutes later the hosts took the lead after some Tigers pressure put Salford on the back foot. Danny Richardson attempted a chip forward on the last tackle, it was blocked but Robb managed to gather the ball and pass to Millington who crashed over to mark his return to the side. Richardson added the two points from the tee.

Cas continued to turn the screw after a penalty for a high tackle on Jason Qareqare got them deep into Red Devils territory. The Tigers decided to shift the play out to the left, but the ball was mishandled by the young wing.

It was the visitors time to go on the front foot and a six again call from the referee gave them a fresh set of tackles 10 minutes from the line. Harvey Livett was first to have a dig at the line but was stopped short, however, moments later Jack Ormondroyd burst through a gap and bundled over to score. Krisnan Inu was on kicking duties for Salford and made no mistake to tie the game at 6-6 with 15 minutes gone.

Salford broke forward again after Dec Patton managed to get through the line and race over halfway, although the stand-off was brilliant challenged by a Qareqare recovering tackle to stop the #29 in his tracks.

The Fords kept coming forward and weren’t afraid to put the ball through the hands as they attacked the left edge of Salford. Unfortunately for Cas, Qareqare knocked on and was hit late which meant the full-back had to be replaced due to failing his head injury assessment by Rusling who came on for first senior cap.

With 25 minutes gone Castleford had some defending to do and did brilliantly to hold up Salford up twice on the line with Pauli Pauli almost barrelling his way over.

Salford then turned the game around and went in front soon after as this time Cas couldn’t keep them out. It was Ollie Roberts who barged his way over and Inu was accurate again with the conversion.

The Red Devils hit a purple patch and were finding their attacking feet with half an hour gone as they extended their lead. Morgan Escare produced a perfectly timed dummy and cut inside from close in to slide over. Inu converted again to take the scores to 6-18.

Richard Marshall’s side were not about to let Cas off the hook as they added another before half-time. Pauli made another one of his trademark runs for the line but was held up, however, Salford recycled the ball and placed a chip out to the touchline for Rhys Williams to gather and scoot over. Inu couldn’t add the two points this time.

The Tigers made the perfect start to the second half after a penalty around the halfway line got them good field position. They capitalised on it with a lovely flowing move over to the far side found Brad Martin in an unfamiliar position out wide but the second row raced over to close the scores slightly. Richardson did well to convert from the touchline to make it a 12-22 game.

Five minutes later however, Salford were able to get back some breathing space as they responded with a try. The Tigers thought they had Pauli wrapped up, but the big man scooped out an offload for Ken Sio to race over in the corner. Inu kicked his conversion from out wide.

The Red Devils then extended their lead further as they kept the pressure high. A six again call given for offside gave Salford an opportunity just a few metres from the line and it was full-back Escare who darted over for his brace. Inu converted once again.

Salford kept targeting Castleford’s left edge and it paid dividends once again with 58 minutes gone as a six again call did damage to Cas’ defensive effort. Patton then crashed over before Inu’s conversion came off the post but went over.

It took two minutes for Salford to score again, and it was a bit of creativity from Escare who put a kick through for Patton to kick forward and leap on the ball to score. Inu then added two more points for the scoreboard to read 12-46.

The Tigers kept pushing with their offence as Robb saw the opportunity to grab a debut score. The hooker made a dive for the line from close in but couldn’t keep the ball under control as he attempted to get the ball down.

Shortly after the Red Devils got themselves up the other end of the pitch and were clinical once again. A fantastic step from Patton opened up the space as the stand-off handed the ball to Chris Atkin to stride over. Inu kicked accurately from the tee.

Cas were not willing just to let this game pass them by as a penalty given against the Red Devils gave them six tackles just under 20 metres out. Some great hands from the likes of Richardson opened up Salford’s right edge and Alex Foster slid over. Richardson added the extras to take him to 3 from 3 and took the scores to 18-52.

With five minutes remaining Salford added another try after Patton passed to Dan Norman to go over from short range. Inu was successful with his kick from the conversion.

Red Devils were in again and this time it was interchange Ben Davies who powered through and stuck out an arm to score. Inu kicked the two points.

In the closing seconds the Red Devils made Cas pay again after a brilliant run from Williams took him from inside his own half all the way to the Tigers’ line for the wing’s second of the day. Inu was clinical with his last conversion of the match and the fixture finished 18 points to 70.


Full-time: Castleford Tigers 18 – 70 Salford Red Devils


Castleford: Qareqare, Jordan, Blair, Foster, Clare, Sadler, Richardson, Hepi, Robb, Millington, Martin, Sene-Lefao, Bienek

Interchanges: Peachey, Hall, Rusling, Magee

Tries: Millington, Martin, Foster

Conversions: Richardson (3/3)


Salford: Escare, Sio, Inu, Costello, Williams, Patton, Atkin, Johnson, Ackers, Ormondroyd, Livett, Lannon, Burke

Interchanges: Roberts, Norman, Pauli, Davies

Tries: Ormondroyd, Roberts, Escare x2, Williams x2, Sio, Patton, Atkin, Norman, Davies

Conversions: Inu (10/11)

Share this article: