Memorable Matches vs Hull FC

Posted: Monday 27th April 2020 - 6:00 PM

Get your souvenir e-ticket for £3, helping the NHS and both clubs' Community Foundations HERE


Castleford 44-12 Hull FC - 5th September 2019

Let's start with our most recent encounter against the Airlie Birds which we affectionately called ‘The Trueman Show’ after young half-back Jake Trueman put on a masterclass performance, scoring a hat-trick as part of a vital victory in the 2019 season.

Heading into the game it was billed as the biggest match of the year with both teams fighting for the final play-off position with only one game remaining. Hull FC knew a win would secure their place in the post-season whilst Cas needed the victory to stay in the hunt.

An opening 20-minute blitz from Daryl Powell’s men saw Cheyse Blair score his first try for the club and Trueman grab an impressive brace. The third score from the #6 came from capitalizing on an opposition mistake, Cheyse Blair holding off three defenders to give it to Jake who dummied a pass to cut in and score in front of the Wheldon Road end.

At this point of the season, Jordan Rankin was showing Castleford supporters just how good at fullback he could be, setting up James Clare for a diving finish in the corner before leaping onto a Trueman grubber kick to score himself. Matt Cook closed things off with a crash ball from Liam Watts to get the final try of the game, it was a wonderful return for the veteran forward who had lost his voice for six weeks prior.


Hull FC 30-16 – 5th August 2016

Castleford Tigers upset the Super League leaders Hull FC when they visited the KCOM Stadium in the summer of 2016, Ryan Hampshire’s brace of tries helping to secure a memorable victory.

An impressive first half showing from the Fords saw them take a 20-0 lead into the changing rooms. Denny Solomona set up the first with a superb offload, with three Black & White defenders on him, allowing Greg Minikin to crash in, the Tigers then moved the ball from the left wing to the right for Hampshire to score his first. Even more expansive play saw the ball switch from each side of the pitch and Luke Gale capitalized on a loose ball to make it 14-0, the #7 then turned into the provider for Luke Dorn to cut in.

A bit of Rangi Chase magic created the first points of the second half, just as prop Scott Taylor tackles him to the ground, he hoists a pass to Rocky Hampshire on the edge for his second try. Lee Radford’s men fought back with Steve Michaels, Danny Washbrook and Jamie Shaul crossing the whitewash, but it was too late. Adam Milner finished the night off with one of the easier tries of his career straight from dummy half and walking under the sticks.

This victory kept Castleford’s hopes of play-off action in the top four alive, a fight they would take all the way to end of the season.


Hull FC 18-18 Castleford Tigers – 24th July 2014

Three tries in the final 13 minutes saw the Tigers fight their way back from 18-4 down to secure a draw at the home of the Black & Whites, 18-18, with Marc Sneyd at the heart of Castleford’s comeback.

Sneyd spent the 2014 season with the Tigers on loan from Salford and it proved to be a breakthrough year for the half-back with regular First Team action and being part of the team that took Castleford to Wembley for the Challenge Cup Final that year.

Fetuli Talanoa and Jordan Abdull scored to give Hull a 12-4 lead at the break, Michael Shenton with the points for Cas after following up on a Sneyd break and juggling the ball before putting it down. Kirk Yeaman extended the hosts lead before skipper Shenton paid back an assist to Sneyd close to the line who followed up with the conversion to cut the deficit to 10 points.

Both sides looked frantic in the final stages of the match to try and secure a victory, Marc kicked a short grubber on the halfway line for Shenton who managed to tap it forward for James Clare to pick up and race into the corner from 20m out making it 18-14 with 7 minutes remaining.

With time fast running out Cas pushed near the home side's line, an offload to Sneyd showed off his deadly left boot to set Clare up for the final points of the game in the corner and level the match.


Castleford 30-28 Hull FC – 21st June 2013

There have been plenty of close contests between the Tigers and the Airlie Birds over the years and this one proved particularly sweet for Castleford after a battering away at Hull in March 52-0, plus it was Daryl Powell’s first home victory at The Jungle.

It was a tough first half for the Tigers going down 16-6 with Ben Crooks scoring the first of his four tries early on following a Joe Westerman break. Rangi Chase proved to be influential in the halves throughout the match and was reflected with Castleford’s first try, a kick to the corner for Richard Owen who got under the ball. Hull built momentum to score twice in the closing stage of the half with Liam Watts breaking the line to set up Aaron Heremaia and Crooks getting his second off some sloppy defence out of the scrum.

The second half the ‘Chase’ was on and Rangi stepped up to stoke the fire in this contest, a sharp pass to Kirk Dixon got the Fords upfield and Chase followed up to cross the line, not before taking it closer to the posts with a spin. Tigers took the lead for the first time off the back of Chase’s drop-off pass to Craig Huby who powered towards the posts and slipped the ball to Daryl Clark. Rangi continued to run riot with a 40/20 getting the Fords into a great field position and then passing the ball to Jonathan Walker who fought and spun his way over.

Hull hauled themselves back into the match with Tom Lineham providing a fantastic run into centre field which left Cas’ defence crumbling as the ball shipped to the left for Heremaia’s second. Crooks scored his third after debutant Jacob Miller got clear to pass it into open space.

24-a-piece heading into the final 10 minutes of play and Hull lofted a high ball near the Cas line which bundled around and fell into the hands of James Clare who race the entire length of the field to score a memorable try and return Castleford the lead.

Ben Crooks scored the final points of the game which gave Daniel Holdsworth the chance to level it up, but his conversion crossed the face of the sticks. A thriller for Daryl Powell’s first home win as Tigers Head Coach.


Hull FC 18-20 Castleford – 1st April 2011

One word to describe this one: fiery, the Tigers held off a late comeback away against Hull FC, a match which started and ended with the East Yorkshire team a man short.

6 minutes into the game Lee Radford was sent to the sin bin for a dangerous tackle and it allowed Cas to gain a foothold in the game. Kirk Dixon kicked the first points of the night from a penalty but the first try belonged to Richard Owen, Will Sharp struggled to deal twice with a high Rangi Chase kick allowing Owen to score a comeback try following his double leg break back in February 2010.

Smart, quick passing to the left edge on the back of a penalty allowed Kirk Yeaman to touch down in the corner. Like a boxing contest both sides were trading blows with Cas replying after a Danny Orr pass went over Sharp’s head and into the hands of Willie Isa who ran in unchallenged. Joe Westerman kicked a penalty from close range to close out the opening 40 minutes 10-6 in favour of the Tigers.

The Black & Whites led for the first time in the match after Richard Whiting made a 50-yard break before being caught and setting up Danny Tickle to crash over and convert his own score. Dixon return to scores level with a penalty from 25m out before the Fords would grasp hold of the lead once again, Chase danced his way through the defending players and giving two dummy passes and giving the ball for Isa’s second try.

There was tension in the air as the scoreline tight and tempers began to fly, Martin Aspinall and Sean Long in the thick of it all having a major set-to before everyone stepped into the fray, it saw referee James Child send them both to the sin bin. Dixon elected to take the two and slotted over his fourth conversion of the game to make it 20-12. Craig Fitzgibbon crashed through for the final try with Tickle converting making it a two-point ball game in the final moments of the match.


Join us on Saturday for our Virtual Double-Header which is raising funds for the NHS key-worker and both club's charitable Foundations.

Purchase your ticket online and get your souvenir e-ticket via email here.

Share this article: