Posted: Monday 13th September 2021

Memorable moments vs Warrington

Castleford Tigers’ 2021 season comes down to an all or nothing contest against Warrington Wolves with the Fords having to claim victory to ensure their place in the play-offs.

It is a massive game to finish off the regular season and we need The Mend-A-Hose Jungle absolutely rocking on Thursday night to get the Tigers over the line and secure a top 6 position.

The fixture will mark an end of an era for Daryl Powell, Grant Millington, Oliver Holmes, Jesse Sene-Lefao, and Peter Mata'utia, who have been incredible servants to the club and will take part in their final league match.

Make sure you are there to give them the best possible send off by purchasing tickets online at, at Carlton Lanes and Xscape Superstore, and by contacting the ticket office on 01977529264.

To get you ready for the game, here we look back at some of the unforgettable battles against Thursday night’s opponents.


The 2015 contest under the Wheldon Road lights, like this Thursday’s match, was a must-win for Castleford to strengthen their position in the play-off spots.

Wolves had comprehensively beaten Cas 44-6 less than three weeks prior, although the Tigers were out to get their revenge.

After being put under the cosh for the first 15 minutes, the hosts struck through Justin Carney as Luke Gale and Ben Roberts showed quick hands to release the winger.

It got even better for the Tigers as they went two tries ahead after a brilliant offload from Oliver Holmes handed Michael Shenton the ball for the captain to race over.

Richie Myler pulled his side back into the game, managing to dot the ball down under pressure from Mike McMeeken.

Carney looked to have got the match under control for the Tigers as he skidded over in the corner for his second of the night, but two scores from Warrington through Myler’s brace and Kevin Penny’s try three minutes from time set up a nail-biting finish.

Liam Finn was the man of the moment as the stand-off stepped to his left and delivered under pressure as his drop kick sailed through the posts to send the stadium into delirium.


Castleford’s Greg Eden had a day to remember when Wire came to town back in 2017 as the wing became the first Tigers player to score five in a Super League game.

Eden was electric in that campaign, ending the season the league’s top try scorer on 34 tries, and rapidly put his side two tries ahead in the first nine minutes against Wire.

Warrington’s misery continued as Greg Minikin and Mike McMeeken crossed to put Cas firmly in the driving seat. Tom Lineham did get a try back for the visitors, although Eden was just too hot to handle as he rounded off an individual masterclass to take his tally to an incredible five tries.

Joe Westerman and Jack Hughes touched down for a couple of consolation tries for Wire in the second half, although the damage done by Eden was unrepairable as the Tigers ran out 36-16 victors.


Leigh Valley Sports Village was the location for this season’s Betfred Challenge Cup semi-finals with Warrington being the opposition for what turned out to be an unforgettable day in the Northwest for the Fords faithful.

The Fords opened the scoring through O’Brien just after the 15-minute mark as the half-back darted over from close in. The 29-year-old converted his own try shortly after and an additional penalty opportunity for an 8-point lead. Niall Evalds then provided the perfect pass for Turner to dive over for Cas’ second of the day.

It was a first half to savour, with the Tigers on fire going down the left edge again to Turner who acrobatically got the ball down in the corner for his second. With just a minute left of the first half Paul McShane saw the opportunity to grab an extra point and got enough on his drop goal to take the scores to 19-0 at half-time.

Warrington came out firing in the second period with two quick fire tries from Ben Currie and Jake Mamo. Cas then responded in the best possible way, and it was a perfect delayed pass from Evalds that unlocked the door for Jesse Sene-Lefao to score.

Wolves were still scrapping for everything though, and it was Widdop who provided the pass for Toby King to cut the Tigers’ deficit. The second-half turned into a slugfest, with both landing heavy blows and Castleford’s time came again with two tries in quick succession as Turner went over for his hat-trick. This was followed by Paul McShane and Alex Foster linking up together – both those scores came whilst being a man down!

Josh Charnley gave Wolves a late lifeline in the corner, but Cas nudged themselves to Wembley with a penalty to make it 35-20.

The clock ticked down, Cas ground out a memorable victory and secured their place at the national stadium.


Another memorable match up with Wire came in 2019 as the Tigers went in search of their first away play-off win for 20 years.

Just over 20 minutes in and it looked promising for Cas as Paul McShane unlocked the hosts’ defence with a trademark kick through for Adam Milner to dot down.

The Tigers took that lead into half-time, but the Challenge Cup winners of that year showed their pedigree early in the second 40. Jake Mamo was the man to get the Wolves back into it as the Aussie held off a challenge from Peter Mata’utia to score.

Castleford restored their advantage just six minutes later as Jordan Rankin stepped on the gas and cut in to slide over. The crucial moment for the visitors came with 13 minutes remaining as a penalty was awarded to them after an illegal rip of the ball and Mata’utia took full advantage to grasp the two points which took the Tigers’ lead to over a try and a conversion.

Chris Hill set up a grandstand finish as he touched down a kick forward to close the gap to just two points. Wire gave it one last push in the final seconds but were denied five metres from the line for the Tigers to claim a historic victory at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.


The following season’s fixture in Warrington was even more dramatic in what was a low scoring but thrilling match.

Cas nudged ahead through a Danny Richardson penalty, but Wire fought back as they took the play left and Toby King found Tom Lineham on his shoulder for the winger to dive over in the corner.

The scores read 4-2 at the interval but the Tigers came out determined to make amends and they did just that in the 51st minute after being awarded a penalty try for a high shot on Calum Turner.

Stefan Ratchford kicked Wolves level as the match then entered a nervy last eight minutes as Blake Austin’s first drop kick attempt flew wide which was then followed by a left footed Richardson effort that missed.

Austin did take his second opportunity to go for the posts in the final minute to snatch a late winner.