Posted: Saturday 11th September 2021

Tigers lose out to Rovers

Castleford Tigers made their attempt to reach the playoffs all the more difficult after they were defeated 26 points to 19 against Hull KR.

Tigers Head Coach Daryl Powell makes two changes to the starting line-up who beat Salford Red Devils last week at Magic Weekend. Adam Milner starts at hooker in place of Paul McShane who is missing through injury, and Danny Richardson comes into the halves replacing Cheyse Blair.

As well as it being a Betfred Super League encounter, Hull Kingston Rovers and Castleford Tigers came together to celebrate the life of a rugby league great by competing for the Roger Millward Trophy.

Matty Storton got the game underway, and it was Hull KR who started the brighter. A high spiralling kick from Mikey Lewis was allowed to bounce by Niall Evalds and Rovers penned the Tigers in their own twenty.

The Robins began to reap their rewards following some high pressure and the home side were the first to open the scoring. The ball came out to Kane Linnett from the ruck who powered his way through the Tigers defence on the halfway line and cleverly offloaded to Mikey Lewis who strolled over. Jordan Abdull added the extra two points.  

It took the Tigers just four minutes to respond by putting their own points on the board. Oliver Holmes created some strong field position after breaking through two tackles and threw an inside ball to the supporting Evalds who went over unopposed. Danny Richardson make no mistake on adding the extras, making the game all square.

Momentum switched following Castleford’s response but it was Rovers who looked dangerous through an aggressive carry by Hall who pushed his team up the field. The full-back Storton also came close to the line as did Crooks who was inches away from the try line, be it not for Shenton’s try-saving tackle in to touch.  

On the twenty-minute mark, Castleford decided to run it on the last tackle. The ball was passed amongst the entire squad before being worked over to Turner who timely passed to Olpherts who dived over in the corner. Danny Richardson added the two points.

The Fords were becoming increasingly ill-disciplined and on occasion were lucky to escape being punished. Following a knock-on off a high kick from Castleford, Mikey Lewis powered his way over from close range and Abdull slotted the kick making it all level.  

The game was well in the balance with both sides showing a resolute defence. Castleford worked their set well and found themselves twenty metres out, and consequently, Richardson lined up and secured a drop goal, creating a one-point advantage to the Tigers.  

Castleford started the second half with fire in their bellies, particularly down their left edge. The addition of Evalds in the back line created extra numbers on the left and after Shenton cut inside and was held up, the ball was offloaded to a ready Evalds who raced over. The extras were added by Danny Richardson.

Niall Evalds looked hungry for more and the full-back was almost in following a short pass from Milner. After making over thirty metres his efforts were denied by Will Dagger’s try-saving tackle.

Following Castleford’s promising start, Hull KR raised their efforts and pushed the Tigers further back. On the last, the returning Jordan Abdull put up a high cross field kick which was subsequently knocked on and rebounded before Parcell grasped the ball and went over. Abdull was accurate with his kick and closed the gap back up to one point.

Hull KR began to ask questions that Castleford struggled to find the answer to. Abdull’s excellently weighted kick resulted in a forty twenty and Luis Johnson scooted over on the second play. Abdull’s successive kick put the home side five points ahead of the Tigers.

There was a response from Cas but their attacking play lacked real conviction. Peter Mata’utia’s twenty metre break gained steps closer to the try line. The ball was flung from right to left into the hands of Evalds who tried to tease way through the defence but was denied by a packed Rovers defence.  

Just as the game was drawing to a close, Castleford were penalised for an offside fifteen metres from their line that Abdull was successive in kicking and securing the two points for Hull KR.


Full-time: Hull KR 26 – 19 Castleford Tigers


Hull KR: Dagger, Hall, Kenny-Dowall, Minikin, Crooks, Abdull, Lewis, King, Parcell, Maher, Linnett, Takairangi, Storton

Interchanges: Vete, Litten, Johnson, Keinhorst

Tries: Lewis x2, Parcell, Linnett,

Goals: Abdull (5/5)


Castleford: Evalds, Clare, Shenton, Mata’utia, Olpherts, Turner, Richardson, Griffin, Milner, Smith, Holmes, Sene-Lefao, Massey

Interchanges: Foster, O’Neill, Hepi, Matagi

Tries: Evalds x2, Olpherts

Goals: Richardson (4/4)