Posted: Thursday 26th August 2021

Cas claim fourth win in a row!

Castleford Tigers secured win number four on the spin as they saw off Hull FC at the MKM Stadium on Thursday night.

Tigers Head Coach Daryl Powell named an unchanged line up in the backs but made three alterations in the forwards from last weekend’s victory over Wakefield. Daniel Smith, Alex Foster and Cheyse Blair all returned to the starting 13 in place of Grant Millington, Oliver Holmes and Jesse Sene-Lefao.

The Black and Whites got the contest underway, and a penalty awarded to the visitors 25 metres out gave Castleford a solid base to attack from early on. Powell’s side grasped the opportunity with both hands as a short ball to Jordan Turner allowed the centre to barge through a couple of FC defenders and stretch out an arm to touch down for the first score of the night 4 minutes in. Danny Richardson made no mistake with the extras from the left-hand side.

Marc Sneyd’s high kicks tested the Tigers in the opening exchanges, but Niall Evalds and Greg Eden were equal to it and collected well. However, with just over ten minutes gone the hosts got their try. Jake Connor took the play out to the left and threw a hit out pass to Adam Swift for the winger to acrobatically score by the corner flag. Sneyd did well to convert the kick from out by the touchline to bring the scores level at 6-6.

A few minutes later the Fords were presented with another chance at the FC line after a Gareth O’Brien kick was spilt by Connor 15 metres out. This time Castleford weren’t clinical with their attacking play as O’Brien spilt backwards for Hull to retrieve the ball.

It was Sneyd again who was testing Cas under the high ball as he launched another booming kick up towards Bureta Faraimo out on the far side, although the kick was well marshalled by Eden.

With 20 minutes on the clock the Airlie Birds thought that they had taken the lead after Sneyd released Manu Ma’u but the referee judged that the second rower had stopped his skid for the line narrowly short.

Liam Watts was sent to the sin bin for a trip with 15 minutes left of the first half, but Hull couldn’t make the most of it as they were penalised soon after for an infringement.

Cas then got themselves into FC territory and looked threatening as O’Brien shifted the ball to the right but a rare, misplaced pass from Evalds landed in front of right-wing Derrell Olpherts and flew out of play.

On the Tigers’ next foray towards the goal line, they elected to set up for a drop goal on the final tackle and scrum half Richardson slotted his kick through the sticks to nudge Cas back into the lead.

The visitors were starting to get consistent ball inside the Hull FC 20 metre line after another penalty handed possession to the Fords. Alex Foster bulldozed his way towards the try line, but the centre was stopped short, that was then followed by a Richardson dart but the #7 was also held before the goal line.

Three minutes from the half-time hooter and Castleford extended their advantage with a beautiful flowing move on the far side. Turner freed Eden on the touchline and the in-form winger handed the ball back inside to the #25 and the centre stepped Connor to race over for his second of the night. Richardson then kept his 100% record as his conversion sailed through the posts.

Cas then saw off a late flurry down the right from FC for the scores to read 6-13 as the two teams went into the sheds.

O’Brien’s boot got the second 40 minutes of the fixture started and Cas were on the front foot immediately after a FC knock on practically straight from kick off. Smith and Watts both made efforts to score but couldn’t force themselves over, although after a Faraimo fumble the Fords kept the pressure high.

This time it was Evalds who went closest before a Sneyd knock on gave the Tigers another set of six. Unfortunately, the opportunity passed the Fords by as Evalds’ quick pass to Eden was too hot for the winger to handle.

After a brilliant burst through the line by Adam Milner from dummy half and continuous pressure from the Tigers near the Hull line, it forced the hosts into conceding a penalty 10 metres out. Richardson asked for the kicking tee and the scrum half was accurate to hand his side a nine-point lead.

It got even better for the visitors moments later as the Airlie Birds couldn’t keep Castleford at bay. After a six again call near the line which immediately presented the Tigers a fantastic position to attack from, and Evalds was first to make a dart for the line. The full back was tackled just short, but the ball was recycled quickly and the Fords shifted the play rapidly for Richardson to sprint over in the corner. The scrum half wasn’t able to convert from out wide.

With 17 minutes to go FC got themselves back into the game and it was the dangerous Connor who slid over after a good offload from centre Cameron Scott. Sneyd made it 2 from 2 with his conversion to take his side within 7 points of the visitors.

The next few exchanges from each side ended with high kicks from O’Brien and Sneyd but both sides were dealing with the high balls well in difficult windy conditions.

The Tigers got the crucial late score they were searching for after some lovely hands put the ball into Evalds’ grasp and the Cas #1 turned on the afterburners to brush by his man and over the line to touch down as the travelling supporters went wild. Richardson just pulled his kick for the scores to stay at 12-23.

Both George Griffin and Scott Taylor were sin binned in the dying moments for an altercation, but Castleford Tigers secured the win to take them to four consecutive victories which continues their push for the play-offs!


Full-time: Hull FC 12 – 23 Castleford Tigers


Hull FC: Connor, Swift, Scott, Tuimavave, Faraimo, McNamara, Sneyd, Sao, Houghton, Taylor, Ma’u, Savelio, Lane

Interchanges: Fonua, Satae, Johnstone, Fash

Tries: Swift, Connor

Goals: Sneyd (2/2)

Sin bin: Taylor


Castleford: Evalds, Olpherts, Mata’utia, Turner, Eden, Richardson, O’Brien, Griffin, McShane, Smith, Foster, Blair, Massey

Interchanges: Watts, Holmes, Milner, Matagi

Tries: Turner x2, Richardson, Evalds

Goals: Richardson (3/5)

Sin bin: Watts, Griffin