Tigers’ terrific come back from sixteen behind to six up

Posted: Saturday 7th August 2021 - 7:00 PM

After a bitterly tight first half at 12-12, Hull KR dominated much of the opening second half where they led 28-12. A moment of realisation clicked with the Tigers and they turned the game on its head to claim a 28-34 victory.  

The opening five minutes were evenly matched with both sides recycling the ball well but unable to run through the retrospective lines. A smartly disguised kick from Rovers caught the Tigers out and Hull’s winger went over the line.

The Robins continued to pile on the pressure and were denied twice on the line where they were held up by a formidable Castleford defence. Once gaining some of their own possession, the Fords looked dangerous on the attack. A superb attacking drive by Martin pushed Cas up the pitch and a neat offload from Thornton gave Willis an opening for the try line. Robson added the extras to tie the game 6-6.  

Hull responded with intensity in attack and were almost over but for a try-saving tackle from Buffet. A quick set followed, and Hull were in once again, converting successfully too.

Just three minutes later and Castleford were gaining yardage through Magee and Donnelly’s powerful drives into Hull’s half. Nearing closer to the fifth tackle Sutcliffe spotted a gap and bulldozed under the sticks. Robson again added the extras to draw the game level going into half-time.

The game was halted shortly before half-time following a nasty injury to Castleford’s Sutcliffe.

The second half resumed with Rovers pressing for that third try and repeatedly knocking on Castleford’s try line. Six minutes in and Hull completed a strong set that resulted in a try down the left.

Cas once again answered accordingly and put Hull under pressure on their own try line. Much alike Castleford’s second try, the home side mirrored that very act and continuously drove the ball once more over the line. Another kick through the sticks meant the Robins led by 22-12.

Pressure was mounting for the Fords who were penalised close to their try line for a high tackle. Following a set restart, Rovers made it three consecutive tries in the second half and the extras pushed the home side sixteen ahead.

A response was needed, and Cas certainly provided one. The away side worked the ball well down the line and what seemed like a juggling act by Robinson was wrapped up well and touched down on the line.

Castleford started to make their sets count in the second half and were helped by a Hull offside thirty metres from their try line. Excellent hands by Graham, Robb and Thornton allowed Copley to step inside and go over the line.

Ten minutes from time and Cas were within touching distance from Hull. Holding on in the tackle provided a set restart for Cas who on their fifth tackle decided to run. Quick handling on the left provided space for a grubber kick that Robb fantastically ran onto sticking it under the posts. Robson converted accurately making the score even.

Determined not to concede defeat, Hull were agonisingly close to the Cas line, but a bullish defence forced the Robins to knock the ball on five metres from the line.

Time was ticking and one last push was surely enough. Castleford again, worked their sets well and after attaining some wonderful yardage Robson received a deadly offload which put the stand-off through. Robinson this time added the extras to end the thrilling encounter 28-34 to Castleford.

Share this article: