The Tigresses fall short in final league game

Posted: Tuesday 1st October 2019 - 12:44 PM

By Andrea Mena

After a fiery affair at Ruskin Drive Castleford Tigers missed out on an unbeaten season. The visitors went into the break with the lead but, after a quick flurry of tries from the home side St. Helens took both points.

The kick-off was delayed due to traffic problems which caused Castleford to arrive late. The problems on the M62 clearly didn’t affect the visitors, Lacey Owen thought she got the first try of the game before the referee ruled it out due to a forward pass.

But just minutes later the Tigresses made sure they didn’t repeat the same mistake as Shona Hoyle crashed over the line for the black and amber. Stanley converted to give Cas a 6-0 lead.

The Tigresses kept up the high tempo, and despite the weather continued to play a quick game. However, the hosts finally broke through with Paige Travis who slid into the corner. The try was not converted keeping the Tigresses in front, 6-4.

It was a nervy end to the first half with both sides dropping the ball, and with the crowd did its bit to add to the atmosphere.

However, Lindsay Anfield’s side kept their cool, and after a wave of passes the ball fell into the hands of the full back Tara Stanley, who darted into the corner to increase Castleford’s lead going into the break, 10-4.

The Tigresses then began to press with winger Kelsey Gentles nearly adding her name to the scoresheet, but she was just held up at the line.

St. Helens then got their first points of the second half, after a successful 40-20 quick they capitalised on their opportunity crashing over the whitewash. The try was not converted keeping Castleford noses in front.

The hosts then scored again to put extend their lead. The home team continued to press and earnt themselves a penalty after a high tackle in front of the sticks which they converted to make it 14-10.

St. Helens regained possession quickly and stretched their lead with a converted try to 20-10.

However, the Tigresses had the final say after youngster Maisie Lumb gathered the ball and touched down in the corner. Unfortunately, this try proved to be too little too late as the referee blew his final whistle. 

Despite the loss the Tigresses now turn their attention to next Sunday where they will host defending champions Wigan Warriors at the Jungle, in the Women's Super League semi-finals.


St. Helens

1. Rebecca Rotherham

2. Rebecca Avenell

3. Katie May Williams

4. Paige Travis

5. Leah Burke

6. Zoe Harris

7. Faye Gaskin

8. Sarah Lovejoy

9. Tara Jones

10. Dawn Taylor

11. Pip Birchall

12. Emily Rudge

13. Jodie Cunningham

14. Naomi Williams

21. Ebony Partington

16. Darcy Stott

18. Lizzie Gladman

Tries: Paige Travis (24), Jodie Cunningham (58), Katie May Williams (61), Tara Jones (69)

Goals: Faye Gaskin 2/5


Castleford Tigers

1. Tara Stanley

16. Maisie Lumb

24. Lucy Eastwood

12. Lacey Owen

4. Kelsey Gentles

6. Georgia Roche

7. Claire Garner

10. Grace Field

33. Jasmine Cudjoe

68. Shona Hoyle

11. Tamzin Renouf

28. Hollie Dodd

13. Rhiannion Marshall

31. Frankie Townend

14. Sammy Watts

17. Kirsty Higo

9. Sinead Peach

Tries: Shona Hoyle (8), Tara Stanley (37), Maisie Lumb (80)

Goals: Tara Stanley 1/3

Share this article: