Castleford Tigers secure semi-final spot
Posted: Monday 12th August 2019 - 7:00 AM
Castleford’s 56-8 victory over the defending champions Wigan Warriors means that the Tigresses are the first team to secure a place in the Women’s Super League semi-finals.
Lindsay Anfield’s side are currently top of the league; 12 points ahead of fifth placed Bradford Bulls with only five games remaining of the regular season.
Kelsey Gentles, Sinead Peach and Tara Stanley all scored twice as the home side ran riot in front of over 500 fans.
Despite this, Castleford were forced to come from behind after Wigan grabbed an early opener courtesy of Rachel Thompson.
The Tigers conceded a penalty deep in their own half which allowed the Warriors to go on the offensive, ship the ball out wide and get over for the first try of the match.
Nevertheless, the Tigresses came back strong and on the 10th minute mark they levelled things up thanks to an effort from Courtney Pointon.
The youngsters try kick-started a dominant 25 minute spell for the home side which saw them score seven tries.
Sinead Peach put Castleford ahead as she powered underneath the sticks and Tara Stanley converted to make it 10-4.
Kelsey Gentles then scored a six minute brace; both times she was released down the left wing by Georgia Roche.
Stanley then scored the first of her two tries following a superb off load from veteran Emma Slowe.
Hollie Dodd may have only made her debut at the start of this month however, the 16-year-old impressed once again. What’s more, the player was able to cap off a great outing with her first ever try in open age rugby league.
This was before Georgia Roche closed out a dominant first half with yet another sensational individual effort.
Wigan came out for the second half looking to close the gap however, a stern Castleford defence made life hard for the visitors.
After weathering out the storm, Cas added more points on the 58th minute mark courtesy of Tara Stanley.
Just moments later, Tamzin Renouf scored her second try in three games as she powered across the whitewash to make it 44-4.
Lacey Owen then took the Tigresses over the 50 mark before Wigan’s Gemma Walsh added a second try for the Warriors.
Despite that late effort, a comeback was never on the cards. Sinead Peach sealed the win, the two points and the semi-final place with her second try of the game.
Next up for the Tigresses is a huge Challenge Cup Final rematch with Leeds Rhinos at Headingley stadium.
Leeds will also be looking for retribution after being nilled in their last league fixture with the Tigers.
1. Tara Stanley (Moran Personal Training & Phoenix Mechanical Engineering)
5. Courtney Pointon (Aysgarth Falls Hotel)
12. Lacey Owen (Melanie Allatt Photography)
15. Olivia Grace (Andy Candler Motor Engineers Ltd)
4. Kelsey Gentles (Atkinsons Fencing & Decking Specialists and Castle Commercial Cleaning Services)
6. Georgia Roche (Reactive Installations, MetLife Insurance & Tracked Spider Solutions)
33. Jasmine Cudjoe (Available To Sponsor)
31. Frankie Townend (Lisa York and AFP Digital)
10. Grace Field (Greywood Hall)
9. Sinead Peach (PlayFair Garage & Riverside Signs and Designs)
8. Emma Lumley (Chuldow Martial Arts)
11. Tamzin Renouf (Anthony Higgins Transport)
28. Hollie Dodd (Anthony Varley – BSM Driving Instructor)
24. Lucy Eastwood (Donna and Paul Hampton)
14. Sammy Watts (McTigue Funeral Directors & The Glass Blower)
68. Shona Hoyle (Tracy & Mark Channell-Napier)
16. Maisie Lumb (Spear Scaffolding Services)
44. Emma Slowe (Caroline Jackson)
1. Rebecca Greenfield
19. Kate McMullan
12. Vanessa Temple
3. Rachel Thompson
25. Megan Bragg
28. Claire Hall
18. Charlotte Foley
14. Holly Speakman
27. Rachel Porter
17. Jade Gregory-Haselden
7. Sarah Harrison
13. Victoria Molyneux
6. Gemma Walsh
15. Emma Dwyer
20. Emily Baggaley
8. Lucy Baggaley
26. Natalie Watson
|Cheer the Tigers on, live on Sky!|
|Adam: Now A Dad|
|Tigers come up short against Giants|
|Match preview: Tigers vs Giants|
|Mend-A-Hose support Tigers through to 2021|
|Tigers come up short against Giants|
|Tired Tigers exit Challenge Cup|
|Late try downs Tigers|
|TIGERS VS WOLVES: MATCH PREVIEW|
|Powell Q&A: Tigers at the double|