Tigresses reach semi-final in front of record crowd
Posted: Monday 24th June 2019 - 12:50 AM
A total of 1,492 fans watched on as Castleford Tigers Women booked their place in the Challenge Cup semi-final.
Castleford Tigers 48-8 Bradford Bulls
Castleford Tries:Rhiannion Marshall (4, 59), Maisie Lumb (12), Kelsey Gentles (20, 46, 70) Courtney Pointon (32), Tamzin Renouf (55), Tara Stanley (76), Georgia Roche (80)
Goals:Tara Stanley 4/10
Bradford Tries:Savannah Andrade (29), Amy Hardcastle (35)
Kelsey Gentles’ hat-trick, Rhainnion Marshall’s brace and Georgia Roche’s masterclass helped the Tigresses to a 48-8 win over the Bradford Bulls.
With almost 1,500 at the Jungle, the club also set a record for the highest attendance in a stand-alone women’s game in the UK.
The home side couldn’t have dreamed of a better start. Barely five minutes into the contest, Sinead Peach exploited a gap from dummy half and released Marshall with a clever off-load. The loose forward then simply powered over the whitewash to give the Tigresses an early lead.
Just a few minutes later, Castleford extended their lead. Maisie Lumb, who two weeks earlier scored twice against the Bulls, once again found herself on the end of a try as she crashed over to make it 10-0.
Bradford struggled to get a grip on Castleford’s attack and the visitors were forced to pay another heavy price with Kelsey Gentles scoring on her return from injury.
As time went on, the Bulls eventually found a breakthrough. Former Tigress Paige Costello released Savannah Andrade down the left wing who proved too strong for the defence.
Castleford responded well with Courtney Pointon getting amongst the tries however, Bradford soon pegged the hosts back with a second effort; this time courtesy of Amy Hardcastle.
Unfortunately for the Bulls, that was as good as things got. Gentles kicked off the second half with an early effort down the left flank before a superb try from Tamzin Renouf took the hosts 18 points clear.
Moments later Marshall had her second. Despite a poor pass, the loose forward managed to make the most of it and power over the whitewash. The player was later taken off due to an injury – we will have an update in the coming days with regards to her condition.
Gentles completed her hat-trick with around 15 minutes to go. Her effort was followed by a try from full-back Tara Stanley who made it 42-8.
However, the best was saved till last as Georgia Roche turned on the style for the final try of the game.
The 2018 Woman of Steel chipped the ball over Bradford’s defence, collected her own kick and crossed under the sticks as the crowd got to their feet.
Castleford’s Challenge Cup journey continues and it will see them take on Wakefield Trinity in the semi-final.
The match is scheduled for the 7thof July with more information set to be announced shortly.
Castleford Tigers Women
1) TARA STANLEY (Moran Personal Training and Phoenix Mechanical Engineering)
5) COURTNEY POINTON (Aysgarth Falls Hotel)
16) MAISIE LUMB (Spear Scaffolding Services)
15) OLIVIA GRACE (Andy Candler Motor Engineers Ltd)
4) KELSEY GENTLES(Atkinsons Fencing and Decking Specialists and Castle Commercial Cleaning Services)
6) GEORGIA ROCHE (Reactive Installations, Met Life Insurance and Tracked Spider Solutions)
7) CLAIRE GARNER (NT Killingley)
14) SAMMY WATTS (McTigue Funeral Directors and The Glass Blower)
9) SINEAD PEACH (PlayFair Garage and Riverside Signs & Designs)
10) GRACE FIELD (Greywood Hall)
8) EMMA LUMLEY(Chuldow Martial Arts)
11) TAMZIN RENOUF (Anthony Higgins Transport)
13) RHIANNION MARSHALL (Marra Falcons and Castle Commercial Cleaning Services)
19) JASMINE ROWLEY(Salon VIP)
17) KIRSTY HIGO (Ink Religion)
22) SAM JORDAN (Meadow Lodge Home Care Services)
23) ESME REYNOLDS (AeroCool)
Bradford Bulls Women
3) Chrissi Nettleton
1) Leah Jones
16) Hayley Hields
4) Amy Hardcastle
5) Savannah Andrade
13) Millie Taylor
7) Stacey Greenwood
14) Amy Boardman
9) Grace Ramsden
10) Debbie Smith
11) Olivia Wood
12) Paige Costello
6) Danielle Bose
(Subs all used)
8) Lauren Hickey
15) Evie Kilburn
16) Casey Rhodes
20) Bailey Alexander
|Turner talks Play-Off win|
|Free travel to play-off clash|
|Tigers face Salford next in Play-Offs|
|Tigers win play-off epic|
|Watts in Man of Steel Shortlist|