Derby fever is coming to Castleford
Posted: Thursday 23rd May 2019 - 3:44 AM
The Tigresses turn their attention to the Challenge Cup as they continue to maintain their unbeaten run.
By Andrea Mena
The gloves are on! This Thursday night (KO 7PM) we will see the Tigresses and Featherstone Rovers battle it out under the lights for a place in round 3 of the cup.
The venue will be the Mend-A-Hose Jungle where Castleford have reigned victorious so far this season beating both Leeds Rhinos and St Helens - who were also undefeated.
Castleford sit top of the tree in the Women’s Super League, still maintaining their 100% record and scoring an incredible 173 points in just four rounds.
The Tigresses and their fans made more history in round four with the largest attendance for Castleford Women at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle - 811 fans turned out for the top of the table clash.
The Super League took a break last weekend but, eight of the Tigresses where still in action in the first Origin game of the series. Yorkshire and Lancashire locked horns, with the white rose coming out victorious winning 14-8.
The players will return to wearing black and amber this Thursday, as they set their sights on another piece of silverwear this season - that's after winning the HerRL trophy against Deesses Catalanes in April.
Both teams earned an automatic spot into round two of the Challenge Cup because they are both Super League sides.
Last season saw heartache in this competition as Castleford lost out in the final to local Rivals Leeds Rhinos 14-20.
The Tigresses had previously beaten Bradford Bulls, St Helens and York City Knights in earlier rounds before falling short in the final.
Featherstone Rovers beat Stanningley in the same competition last year but fell short to last season’s Super League champions Wigan Warriors.
Last season both teams met twice in the league, with Castleford winning comfortably in round four, 40-32, and again in round eleven, 34-8.
Featherstone Rovers currently sit 6thin the Women’s Super League table with one victory and three losses to their name.
Make sure you get down to the Mend-A-Hose Jungle this Thursday evening to see the undefeated Tigresses take on Featherstone Rover in the Challenge Cup.
Kirsty Higo, Sam Jordan and Sammy Watts all return to the team for this upcoming Cup clash.
While both Higo and Jordan have already made previous appearances this season, Watts will be taking part in her first Super League game for over ten months.
Here is the 18-women squad selected by head coach Lindsay Anfield…
1) TARA STANLEY (Moran Personal Training and Phoenix Mechanical Engineering)
4) KELSEY GENTLES (Atkinsons Fencing and Decking Specialists)
5) COURTNEY POINTON (Aysgarth Falls Hotel)
6) GEORGIA ROCHE (Reactive Installations, Met Life Insurance and Tracked Spider Solutions)
7) CLAIRE GARNER (NT Killingley)
8) EMMA LUMLEY (Chuldow Martial Arts)
9) SINEAD PEACH (PlayFair Garage and Riverside Signs & Designs)
10) GRACE FIELD (Greywood Hall)
11) TAMZIN RENOUF (Anthony Higgins Transport)
13) RHIANNION MARSHALL (Marra Falcons and Castle Commercial Cleaning Services)
14) SAMMY WATTS (McTigue Funeral Directors and The Glass Blower)
15) OLIVIA GRACE (Andy Candler Motor Engineers Ltd)
16) MAISIE LUMB (Spear Scaffolding Services)
17) KIRSTY HIGO (Ink Religion)
20) KATY TORDOFF (Drink Natural)
22) SAM JORDAN (Meadow Lodge Home Care Services)
24) LUCY EASTWOOD (Donna & Paul Hampton)
68) SHONA HOYLE (Tracy & Mark Channell-Napier)
|This week for Castleford Tigers|
|Turner talks Play-Off win|
|Free travel to play-off clash|
|Tigers face Salford next in Play-Offs|
|Tigers win play-off epic|