Tigers Out Of The Cup

Posted: Friday 10th May 2019 - 9:32 PM

Tries from James Clare and Cory Aston were all the Tigers had to show for their efforts, on a tough night in East Yorkshire 

The Tigers were given something of a let-off in the early stages, as Jack Logan butchered a golden opportunity close to the line. However, Castleford weren’t let off the hook at all in the opening quarter. 

An early Peter Mata’utia penalty gave the visitors the lead, but from there Hull grabbed the initiative. Jake Connor struck first for the Airlie Birds, before Bureta Faraimo wrestled his way over the top of Greg Minikin to score a few minutes later.

Albert Kelly leaped for a cross-field ball and planted down shortly after to put Hull further ahead, and in amongst these scores was a Marc Sneyd penalty for good measure.

Hull were averaging almost a point-per-minute and things looked bleak for the Tigers in truth. 

Luckily, Castleford found a little bit of momentum as we approached the half-hour mark though, finally beginning to stead the ship a little. 

A move to the left finally came off, allowing James Clare to finish well in the corner. Mata’utia nailed the conversion from the side line, giving the Tigers a life-line as the deficit was pulled back to twelve points.

There were no further points in the half, but Castleford did end the period on top, giving them some encouragement for the rest of the contest.

The Tigers needed a fast start to the second 40, and they very nearly got on the board early. However, Minikin and Tuoyo Egodo couldn’t quite finish off a smart move between them.

Hull made the Tigers pay a few minutes later, as Sneyd kicked his second penalty of the night. Only two more points, but it pushed the Airlie Birds three clear scores ahead.

Unlike in the first, the second half was fairly devoid of points as the game was littered with errors. This didn’t benefit the Tigers, who had already given themselves a mountain to climb.


With just under 20 minutes to play, Castleford had a try effort sent upstairs to the officials, but there was nothing doing. 

Time was very much up against the Tigers from that point, and the writing was pretty much on the wall. 


With ten left to play, Hull capitalised on a penalty and went on the attack once again. Faraimo found Mark Minichiello, and that was just about that. 


Cory Aston found time for a consolation, but there was no effect on the result.

Full Time: Castleford Tigers 12-28 Hull FC


Castleford Tigers

Mata’utia, Egodo, Minikin, Blair, Clare, Trueman, Aston, Watts, McShane, Maher, Clarkson, McMeeken, Massey


Millington, Milner, Sene-Lefao, Cook

Tries: Clare, Aston 

Conversions: Mata’utia (1/2)

Penalty: Mata’utia (1/1)


Hull FC

Kelly, Faraimo, Griffin, Logan, Naulago, Connor, Sneyd, Taylor, Houghton, Paea, Minichiello, Manu, Westerman


Hadley, Green, Matongo, Ellis

Tries: Connor, Faraimo, Kelly, Minichiello 

Conversions: Sneyd (4/4)

Penalties: Sneyd (2/2)


Attendance: 6,230


*Match report by Ross Williams

**Photography by Melanie Allatt

Share this article: