Tigers Fall To The Saints

Posted: Friday 22nd March 2019 - 9:37 PM

Justin Holbrook’s team were fantastic on the night, making things very difficult for a Castleford side that came out of the clash with only a Michael Shenton try to show for their efforts.

It took a matter of minutes for St Helens to show their table-topping credentials, as Lachlan Coote powered over from close range after receiving a short ball from Man of Steel contender James Roby.

Early doors, the game was played at an astounding pace, with both sides eager to throw the ball around in the hunt for space.

When Saints earned a penalty close to the Tigers’ line, it came as little surprise that Coote opted for the two points. Both sides – and their fans – needed a breather after an excellent, action-packed opening quarter of an hour.

Castleford heard the referee’s whistle far too much though as the half drew on, and a few errors also began to creep into their game. Naturally, Justin Holbrook’s side didn’t let these go unpunished, striking via Regan Grace directly from the scrum base following an Eden knock-on.

The Tigers could have really done with scoring next, to decrease the deficit. However, a crazy ball from Eden went to no one when the Tigers finally got themselves some possession – inviting Saints back in.

Dominique Peyroux obliged, soon waltzing his way over to put Saints 18 points up.

The Tigers attempted to hit back before the break, but the time wasn’t there for them, so they headed into the sheds without a point on the board.

Soon after the interval, Zeb Taia added to the Tigers’ misery, going in practically untouched as the visitors shifted the ball to the left.

Then, it was Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook’s turn to get over, running an almost identical line to his back-row counterpart.

It was champagne stuff from St Helens, and there didn’t appear to be anything the Tigers could do to stop the rout. With the current league leaders in full swing and Castleford right up against it, the visitors were practically scoring at will. Mark Percival was next, stretching his way over the line.

It looked as if Saints were in again as we hit the hour mark, as Theo Fages made a break from deep. However, the Tigers scrambled well and finally came up with some points. Skipper Michael Shenton reacted quickest to a wild ball, intercepting and turning Grace inside out on his way to picking up the four points.

With less than twenty minutes to play though, it was a matter of riding the rest of this one out for the Tigers.

Despite Castleford getting on the board, Saints still had their tails up and it wasn’t long before Peyroux grabbed his brace by rumbling over from dummy half.

Jonny Lomax polished things off for St Helens, finishing off another long-distance move under the posts.

The Tigers did have the final say, as Jake Trueman scored at the death, but it ultimately made little impact on a humbling defeat for Castleford.

Full Time: Castleford Tigers 12-42 St Helens


Castleford Tigers

Mata’utia, Minikin, Foster, Shenton, Eden, Trueman, Rankin, Watts, McShane, Millington, Holmes, Moors, Massey


Clare, Milner, Sene-Lefao, Cook

Tries: Shenton, Trueman

Conversion: Rankin (2/2)


St Helens

Coote, Makinson, Naiqama, Percival, Grace, Lomax, Fages, Walmsley, Roby, Thompson, Taia, Peyroux, Knowles


Paulo, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Lees, Ashworth

Tries: Coote, Grace, Peyroux (2), Taia, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Percival, Lomax

Conversions: Coote (4/8)

Penalty: Coote (1/1)


Attendance: 8,042

R Collins & Co Insurance Brokers Man of the Match: Pete Mata’utia

Golden Gamble: 02898


*Match report by Ross Williams

**Photography by Melanie Allatt

Share this article: