U16s go two from two

Posted: Thursday 14th March 2019 - 2:50 PM

Building on his hat-trick against Wakefield last week, Josh Milthorpe came up with another pair of tries, helping the Tigers to a comfortable win over the hosts.

Things were evenly-matched in the opening exchanges, with the two sides meeting each other well in the middle of the park. In truth, there was little to separate the forward packs, but it soon became evident that Castleford were the side with the extra touch of class on the outside.

Every time the Tigers sent the ball wide, problems arose for Huddersfield, and eventually this brought about the first try of the game.

Centre Jamie Mvula came up with it, averting a handful of defenders before racing 40 yards to the line. It was an excellent opening score, and a sign of things to come.

In the ten minutes following the opener, Castleford were right on top, but were unable to extend their lead thanks to some strong defending from the Giants.

The Tigers came awfully close though, as an awkward kick found its way to Jason Quarequare in Huddersfield’s in-goal. The score was chalked off by the officials, but the winger’s attempt at grounding the ball was nothing short of exceptional, as Quarequare somehow somersaulted through the air in an effort not dissimilar to something a young Ben Barba pulled off in the NRL a few years ago.

Nonetheless, it didn’t count and it instead left the door open for Huddersfield to hit back, which they managed via Joseph Robinson.

With the score line at 6-4, it was anyone’s game as we approached half time. However, Castleford took the initiative before the break.

Playing with their tails up, the Tigers began applying the pressure and their second try of the evening was inevitable with the overlaps they were creating in attack. Rather than going wide this time though, it was back-rower Nathan Magee who struck, as he ran a perfect line and came onto the final ball like a steam train.

Adam Rusling added the extras, before the Tigers ended the half with a flourish as some smart hands set Milthorpe free in the corner.

A Castleford try early into the second half had the potential to kill the game as a contest, and that must have been the message at the break as the Tigers came out with some real intent.

It took seven minutes for the breakthrough, as Cain Robb smartly took a quick play-the-ball from dummy half, spotted a lazy marker and blazed past him to score.

A few moments later, the game was well and truly put to bed as Milthorpe snatched his brace on the right flank.

With the deficit at 22 points, Huddersfield seemed to re-energise themselves. Attempting to salvage some pride, the Giants applied some pressure on the Tigers’ line but the visitors’ defence held up tremendously.

Danny Evans’ side were then rewarded for their hard work, as talented full-back Bailey Hodgson grabbed a deserved try to further extend Castleford’s lead.

Huddersfield didn’t go away as the clock ticked down and to their credit they managed to cross twice at the death to improve the score line somewhat. Regardless, the result wasn’t affected as the Tigers made it two impressive wins from two in 2019.

Full Time: Castleford Tigers Scholarship 30-14 Huddersfield Giants Scholarship


Castleford Tigers Scholarship

Hodgson, Milthorpe, Jordan, Mvula, Quarequare, Harris, Rusling, Harte, Sadler, Ransome, Magee, Hazelgrave, Evans


Toaala, Scurr, Wood, Kowalski, Robinson, Robb, Shaw

Tries: Mvula, Magee, Milthorpe (2), Robb, Hodgson

Conversions: Rusling (3/6)


Huddersfield Giants Scholarship

Collins, Robinson, Carr, Tutin, Powell, Kilburn, Pryce, Beer, Rush, Killan, Howe, Garley, Rogers


Woods, Grayson, Wood, Rushworth, Wainwright, Dayes, Rhodes

Tries: Robinson (2), Wainwright

Conversions: Pryce (1/3)

*Match report by Ross Williams

Share this article: