Tigers Claim Bragging Rights

Posted: Friday 21st September 2018 - 10:27 PM

Greg Eden headlined for the Tigers, scoring a quartet of tries, in what was an impressive display from the hosts, heading into the final week of the Super 8s and the pressure cooker of the play-offs.

Fittingly for a West Yorkshire derby, things took off at an electric pace in the first half, with Greg Eden dotting down a Luke Gale kick inside the very first minute. The chance came from Wakefield bizarrely opting to boot the ball directly from the opening kick-off, an early sign that Trinity – with nothing really to play for – had arrived over Heath Common with the intention of throwing caution to the wind

However, that sort of attitude is a dangerous one to have when the Tigers are on song, and Wakefield were quickly made to pay. It wasn’t long before Eden had his second, as Castleford’s left edge combined to send the winger away.

Then, it was Greg Minikin’s turn to get over the whitewash, scoring his first try since his return from injury after being put though by a lovely ball from Peter Mata’utia.

At that point, with the Tigers averaging more than a point per minute, it looked as if the floodgates could open early. But, remarkably, no more points were scored in the first half as Trinity sharpened up their defensive structures and Castleford went into cruise control.

When the sides re-emerged after the hooter, it was Wakefield who were initially on top, and they reaped rewards from their pressure as Bill Tupou added to his impressive 2018 try tally.

However, Trinity struggled to maintain a lengthy period of dominance and, before long, the Tigers were back in the ascendency. A couple of chances came and went, but a try was inevitable and Grant Millington was the man who came up with it, charging over from short range.

A soft Wakefield try followed, as Reece Lyne somehow averted the efforts of three tacklers to get the ball down from what really wasn’t an obvious scoring chance.

The result really wasn’t in danger though, as Castleford always looked capable of stepping on the gas at a moment’s notice.

Eden did just that a few moments later, racing away for his hat-trick try after a Mata’utia break had put the Trinity defence on the back foot.

With the two points very much in the bag, the Tigers could have been forgiven for putting the cue on the rack, with a tough trip to St Helens and a Super League semi-final firmly in their sights.

This wasn’t the case though, as the black and amber continued to punish their bitter rivals. A short-side play brought up the next score as (who else?) Eden finished once again the left corner.

There was time for one more before the death, as Junior Moors rumbled over following a smart move from Paul McShane.

The Tigers now have just one more Super 8s clash remaining, before the drama of the Super League play-offs.

Full Time: Castleford Tigers 42-10 Wakefield Trinity

Castleford Tigers

Mata’utia, Minikin, Webster, Shenton, Eden, Trueman, Gale, Watts, McShane, Millington, Moors, McMeeken, Massey


Roberts, Milner, Sene-Lefao, Clark

Tries: Eden (4), Minkin, Millington, Moors

Conversions: Gale (7/7)


Wakefield Trinity

Grix, Tupou, Lyne, Arundel, Jones-Bishop, Wood, Hampshire, Huby, Randell, Arona, Ashurst, Batchelor, Crowther


Jowitt, Pauli, Annakin, Horo

Tries: Tupou, Lyne

Conversions: Hampshire (1/2)


Attendance: 7,860

Essential Construction Services Man of the Match:

Golden Gamble: 13428


*Match Report by Ross Williams


Share this article: