Academy Match Report

Posted: Sunday 19th August 2018 - 12:00 PM

The clash was always set to be a tough encounter for the Tigers, not least because they were turned over by the Wire in the return fixture earlier in the season. However, Tony Smith’s side have improved ten-fold since then, and it showed at Victoria Park.

Although the game became a real thriller late on, the early proceedings were almost plain sailing for the buoyant Tigers, coming off recent wins over Newcastle and London.

Riley Dean, who was undoubtedly Warrington’s star man for large portions of the game, struck inside the opening ten minutes after benefitting from a Wolves break but this came against the run of play and it wasn’t long before Castleford got their reward.

James Beckett required a touch of good fortune as he dotted down the Tigers’ opener, with the ball ricocheting around the try line, but the prop did well to react quickest and claim the points.

Moments later, the black and amber were in again as the right edge – which terrorised Warrington all afternoon – came up with a four pointer. Lewis Carr was the man who touched the ball down after receiving a lovely, floated ball from Calum Turner - who performed well after being thrown into first-team action less than 18 hours beforehand.

With their tails firmly up, there was no stopping the Tigers before the break as they added to their lead. Jake Sweeting added a try after supporting well in the halves, as did Joe Summers, who resembled a wrecking ball as he crashed onto a neat short pass and raced 30 yards to the whitewash.

Things were comfortable for the Tigers at the half, though that may have only played into the hands of the hosts.

Warrington looked refreshed as they returned from the sheds and they set about overturning the deficit. Dean crossed again for the Wolves after a spell of pressure, bringing the home side back within two scores.

Robbie Storey had a try disallowed for an apparent forward pass in the following moments, but the right-side attack were not put off. Their next effort came direct from the scrum base and this time there was no question about the outcome as Turner once again found Carr in the corner.

A further score would have sealed the points for the Tigers but the Wire remained resilient and caused some nervous moments as we approached the end, with Joe Edge and Elliott Windley each coming up with inspired efforts.

With six points in it, and just five minutes remaining on the clock, the crucial moment came as Warrington were penalised for a late shoulder charge on Ben Dobson. Jake Sweeting made short work of adding the two points.

Warrington struck once more at the death, as Windley bagged his second of the afternoon, but Sweeting’s penalty meant that Warrington didn’t have time to force the comeback. Therefore, the two points came back down the M62 with the Tigers after a hard-fought battle.


Full Time: Castleford Tigers U19s 30-28 Warrington Wolves U19s

Castleford Tigers U19s: Turner, Goddard, Doyle, Storey, Carr, Sweeting, Williams, Beckett, Butterworth, Hall, Summers, Peachey, O’Neill
Interchange: Priest, Dobson, Fella, Ray

Tries: Beckett, Carr (2), Summers, Sweeting
Conversions: Williams (3/4), Sweeting (1/1)
Penalty: Sweeting (1/1)

Warrington Wolves U19: Abram, Brinksman, Roebuck, Hall, Edge, Dean, Westwood, Chamberlain, Windley, Wright, Oakley, Brown, Johnson
Interchange: Anglin-Sheedy, Heritage, Olmez, Harper

Tries: Dean (2), Edge, Windley (2)
Conversions: Dean (4/5)


*Match Report by Ross Williams

Share this article: