Tigers Home Delight vs Wolves

Posted: Friday 17th August 2018 - 10:03 PM

A brace from Greg Eden and further tries from Junior Moors, James Clare and Mike McMeeken did the damage for the Tigers, as they edged every nearer to that all-important semi-final berth.

Following defeat at Wigan a week ago, the Tigers went into this one with something of a point to prove, and it showed early on as they piled the pressure on the visitors. A couple of penalties on the bounce gave Castleford perfect field position, and Daryl Powell’s men soon exploited it. In the end, it was a lovely left-to-right ball from Peter Mata’utia that unlocked the defence, allowing James Clare to stroll in unopposed.

The Tigers struck again soon after, as Jamie Ellis opted to take the two from another penalty in Wolves territory. However, points were at a premium in the first half, so the scoring went into something of a lull in the middle stages of the half.

Play was temporarily halted as Mitch Brown was stretchered from the field after suffering a nasty-looking injury. The breather seemed to suit Castleford the better, and they looked re-energised when play restarted, particularly up the middle.

It was fitting then that the second score of the game was touched down by Junior Moors, as the rampaging prop dropped on a neat Paul McShane grubber into the in-goal.

Warrington upped their threat as the half drew on, but the Tigers were equal to the task, with skipper Michael Shenton particularly standing out with some supreme efforts in defence.

A late try to end the half was all the black and amber needed to cap off what had been an impressive 40 minutes and, as time expired, Eden provided with a trademark interception. The effort was sent upstairs to check the grounding, but it passed the test, giving the Tigers a healthy 16-0 lead at the break.

When the sides re-emerged, Warrington looked like a side keen on clawing back the deficit, and they soon made a dent in it as Kevin Brown executed a banana kick, giving Stefan Ratchford the chance of a simple touchdown underneath the posts.

The chance of a Wolves comeback then became that much more likely, as Bryson Goodwin crashed over, bringing Warrington within four points of the Tigers, with an age left on the clock.

Sensing the danger, Castleford needed a response and, yet again, the big men stood up to be counted. A Liam Watts break, with a little help from Grant Millington, set up the Tigers for a shot at the line and McShane delivered the intricate touch, dinking a beautiful kick over to a grateful Greg Eden on the touch line.

There was a sense that one more Castleford try would put them beyond reach, and it came swiftly after as Shenton skirted along the Wolves’ defensive line before picking out Mike McMeeken, who could not be stopped on his path to the whitewash.

The Wire came up with a late charge, as Ratchford claimed his second, but time was the Tigers’ ally and the hosts held on to secure their first win of the Super 8s.

Full Time: Castleford Tigers 28-18 Warrington Wolves

Castleford Tigers

Mata’utia, Clare, Webster, Shenton, Eden, Ellis, Trueman, Watts, McShane, Millington, Wardle, McMeeken, Massey


Moors, Holmes, Clark, Turner

Tries: Clare, Moors, Eden (2), McMeeken

Conversions: Ellis (3/5)

Penalty: Ellis (1/1)


Warrington Wolves

Ratchford, Lineham, T. King, Goodwin, M. Brown, K. Brown, Roberts, Hill, Clark, Cooper, Thompson, Hughes, G. King


Philbin, Akauola, Patton, Pomeroy

Tries: Ratchford (2), Goodwin

Conversions: Ratchford (2/2), Patton (1/1)


Brebur Man of the Match: Liam Watts

Golden Gamble: 09724

Attendance: 7,142

*Match Report by Ross Williams
*Photo Courtesy of Melanie Allatt


Share this article: