Tigers Stumble At Wigan

Posted: Friday 20th April 2018 - 10:07 PM

The black and amber were right in the contest at the break, following tries from Oliver Holmes and Garry Lo,  but a scoreless second half from the Tigers spoiled their chances of picking up the victory on the road.

The Tigers began the contest like a team with a point to prove, ripping into the hosts from the get-go, and their early enthusiasm was rewarded with two points as Luke Gale knocked over a penalty from in front of the sticks.

Lo, on his full debut for the club, almost polished off a memorable try moments later, but white-line fever got the better of him as he kicked the ball three times in open play, rather than dropping on it and retaining possession for the visitors.

Every indication was that the game was bound to be a tight affair, so it was little surprise when Sam Tomkins returned the favour and slotted a penalty of his own to tie the scores up.

In the aftermath of their opening score, Wigan started to get a roll on, and they used this momentum to grab the first try of the game. Joe Burgess shrugged off Jake Webster and managed to go 70 yards up the field. Greg Minikin put up an outstanding effort to catch his opposing winger, but his tackle was in vain, as Oliver Gildart took the ball from acting half an strolled in unopposed.

Wigan’s second came soon after, as back-rower Liam Farrell got in on the act, spinning by Ben Roberts close to the line.

The Tigers needed something to go their way and, eventually, they got the rub of the green from the officials and put together a couple of repeat sets. Holmes did the rest, continuing his fine try-scoring form by bursting through the Wigan defence and slamming the ball down. Gale did the honours from the kicking tee to put Castleford within a converted try of the hosts.

After being under pressure for much of the half, Castleford really found their feet in the closing stages of the first period and ended with a flourish as Lo grabbed his first competitive try in black and amber.

However, when the teams reappeared after the break, it was Wigan who grasped the initiative. Burgess was once again the catalyst, racing away before feeding Gildart for his second of the night. Tomkins missed the conversion however, meaning the clash remained a one-score game.

With things still so tight at the DW Stadium, a real arm wrestle ensued, with neither side giving up an inch.

It took a 40/20 from Tomkins to put Wigan in position to strike next. Half-back George Williams came up with the points, stretching just far enough to plant the ball on the whitewash.

Lo came close to putting the Tigers back in it after a break up the right, but the Papua New Guinean was dispossessed just before he could add to his tally.

All-in-all, handling errors were Castleford’s worst enemy as the clock ticked down. The Tigers got themselves in positions where they could strike, but were too wasteful with the ball in hand.

The Warriors ran time down, and Tony Clubb had the final say from short range, condemning Castleford to their third loss of the season.

The black and amber will have a perfect opportunity to strike back next week however, as they host Wakefield Trinity in an eagerly-anticipated West Yorkshire derby at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle.

Full Time: Castleford Tigers 12-28 Wigan Warriors

Castleford Tigers:Trueman, Minikin, Webster, Shenton, Lo, Roberts, Gale, Watts, McShane, Massey, Holmes, Wardle, Foster
Interchange: Millington, McMeeken, Milner, Cook

Tries: Holmes, Lo
Conversions: Gale (1/2)
Penalties: Gale (1/1)

Wigan Warriors: S. Tomkins, Marshall, Sarginson, Gildart, Burgess, Williams, Powell, Clubb, Leuluai, Flower, Bateman, Farrell, O’Loughlin
Interchange: J. Tomkins, Sutton, Tautai, Isa

Tries: Gildart (2), Farrell, Williams, Clubb
Conversions: S. Tomkins (3/5)
Penalties: S. Tomkins (1/2)

Attendance: 11,866

*Match Report by Ross Williams
*Photograph courtesy of Melanie Allatt

Share this article: